Honda Twins banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I pulled the engine side covers and cam covers off to buff them out.
Can I use RTV gasket maker when I replace them or do I need to get (or make) paper gaskets?

Also, can the covers that seem to support the cams be removed , poliched and replaced with out to much hassel or should I polish them in place as best I can? I really dont want to pull the engine apart.

Any known sourse of gaskets?

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
scout4924 said:
I pulled the engine side covers and cam covers off to buff them out.
Can I use RTV gasket maker when I replace them or do I need to get (or make) paper gaskets?

Also, can the covers that seem to support the cams be removed , poliched and replaced with out to much hassel or should I polish them in place as best I can? I really dont want to pull the engine apart.

Any known sourse of gaskets?
You need gaskets. http://www.crc2onlinecatalog.com/Index_Main_Frame.htm

I would not advise removing the "cam covers" without breaking the cam chain, meaning off-bike. There's a real strong possibility you may not get them back on.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks tbpmusic, I got them ordered.
I have the engine out of the frame and the cam chain tentioner removed. I'd rather not mess with the cams unless it becomes necessary. I pulled the one cam end cover (or what ever its called) out about 3/4 inch, thinking it was just a cap. I seems it acts as or holds the cam bearings and the torsionbar tentioner/adjuster?
I 'll clean up the oil on that gasket add a little RTV and hope it won't leak. The other three will have to do.

·
Sensei
27,182 Posts
You MAY want to rethink RTV on the cam journal.... A slight oil leak is better than an oil passage blocked by a glob of rubber..................I'd wait for the gaskets and do it correctly, but of course, it depends on which journal you partially removed......

·
Sensei
27,182 Posts
Technically correct Ronnie...But it would take quite a bit to get to the "adverse" stage as it usually gets "squished-out" ... Which is my problem with it......It is fine to apply a thin film of it when you have the journals off and can control the amount, but when "adding while partially in place", he has no control, and it wouldn't take much excess to block-up an oil passage.....

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
If you're bound and determined -
Remove the tensioner.
Turn the alternator until one cam has both tappets as loose as they'll get - use the adjusters also, to make them as loose as you can get it
Remove one (ONLY) cam cover - do NOT turn the alternator again
Do your polishing, and put on a new gasket
Carefully try to get it back on the end of the cam - hopefully it will slide on easily. Do NOT force it back on, you'll screw up your freshly polished cam cover.

Now do the same for the tappet on the other side.
Then rotate the other cam and proceed to those cam covers.

Check to be sure you haven't lost your cam timing.

·
Registered
13 Posts
It is possible to remove the cam covers and get them back in, but it's a little trcky. Do like tpbmusic suggested, rotate the engine until there's play in the rockers and don't move it until you're done. Check your cam shaft timing marks when you're done. Do one at a time and don't let the cam chain jump a tooth. I changed all my cam covers / bearings this way. The only problem is that if the cam shaft end play is too tight or too loose, you'll have to start all over again (don't drop those shims into the motor!). Just make absolutely certain that the cams and crank are properly timed and the valve lash is correct when all is said and done.

An alternative may be a Dremel tool with a small buffing wheel. Some what time consuming but there's no danger of blowing the engine.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm all for not bending a valve stem or worse!
Thanks for the advice.
I've got about half the covers buffed out (almost) to my satisfaction.
Still have the the fork lowers.

I pulled the engine with the covers on. (except sprocket cover) My plan is to re-install it with the covers off so I don't mess them up. Clearance should'nt be an issue. Right?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi would you mind posting a picture when you go to reinstall the cam chain on the camshafts? I'm trying to find the timing marks on the camshaft casts to line up with the case and having a hard time.

thanks!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts