Honda Twins banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Years ago back when I was a Honda mechanic, we used Gaskachinch gasket sealer which is like contact cement. advantage was if you had to disassemble again soon after, the gasket was left intact and could be reused. It was great on things like side covers. What's the school of thought today?

·
Premium Member
667 Posts
Look into a product made by Hylomar. It is their Hylomar Blue. They private label it for Permatex also and it is sold in small tubes at all the auto parts chains. Even though it is in a Permatex tube it will still say Hylomar on the tube. This stuff is supposedly used on every jet engine produced on the cold side of the engine because of its ability to seal but not harden and to withstand vibrations and not shear. Anybody else ever heard of it? I think the VW people have been using it for years and swear by it.
Don

·
Sensei
27,183 Posts
Don, Hylomar is good stuff...... The other sealer questions' answers can be found with the search feature... I just don't have it in me to go through/type it all again.... :lol:

·
Registered
659 Posts
For copper gaskets like those on heads I use Permatex® Copper Spray-A-Gasket® Hi-Temp Adhesive Sealant.

For other gaskets I use the red Permatex® High Tack™ Spray-A-Gasket™ Sealant

Both are easy to use, help keep things in place while assembling, and resilient enough to pull things apart easily and reuse.

Go here: http://www.permatex.com/products/Automo ... alants.htm

1 - 4 of 4 Posts