Honda Twins banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you have to replace them each time? Assuming you don't use any kind of extra gasket material. Sorry if this is a stupid question.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Specifically the left and right side covers, stator cover and oil slinger cover. Thanks in advance

·
Sensei
27,183 Posts
Oil "slinger" cover is o-ringed.... Definately reusable if you remove the cover carefully.
I'd replace the others you mentioned...(Buy one new set and use as templates for hand-cut gaskets...)
Only "worry" point is when/if replacing the cam journal gaskets.... The cams must be shimmed to have correct "sideplay", so thicker gaskets are/can be problematic....Depends on the paper thickness you use of course....

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hand cut gaskets....searching for that thread and material.

·
Sensei
27,183 Posts
Trace and cut-out..... A "Harbour Freight" set of hole punches helps and is inexpensive.
Gasket paper available in rolls at the nerest auto-parts stores......

·
Premium Member
2,386 Posts
Bill had a good idea some time back. He recommended photo copying the gaskets and then you can use them as a template.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Great ideas and I will order a complete set and grab a roll of that stock paper and a 12 pack and get cutting. Thanks guys!!

·
Registered
8,867 Posts
Using grease on the gaskets will help with keeping them in position for fitting and also when taking off covers. Many gasgets can be reused if they are removed carefully. You have be sensible though if it looks knackerd then it probably is best not to reuse it. Using Grease cannot be done on the cylinder head gasket though as it is there to hold the firey contents of the combustion chamber.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ok, forgot to ask and was searching the web. How thick? There is .25 to 1 mil?? I have a set of new gaskets coming and I guess I could try and measure the thickness? Probably going to cut the side covers and points cover first.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts