Honda Twins banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Folks

I'm in the market for a gasket kit - full engine (top and bottom). Before I go throwing my hard earned at another half full kit, are there any out there that contain replacement valve stem seals? Given that a new set of seals from the big H will cost 2/3 of the cost of a full aftermarket kit, I'm kinda hoping to kill two with one.

Thanks in advance.

Neil

·
Premium Member
658 Posts
I seem to remember that someone on this site had trouble with the seals in the Vesrah kits, It might be worth a little research before buying a kit.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Hi Neil,
I am awaiting a gasket set from Dave Silvers, who assured me it contained stem seals and assorted "o" rings, from what i can remember of the last aftermarket set i bought, the stem seals were crap and i ended up buying Honda ones after all, and to be honest compared to the big "H" ones they were.
You pays your money......
Where are you in the U.K. i am near Skipton in North Yorkshire!
cheers
Phillip

·
Registered
40 Posts
Hi Ronny,
Just recieved my gasket set, it contains 4 stem seals, although they are a different design to the honda ones, they are a rubber moulding with a spring near the base on the exterior, various "o" rings, and exhaust gaskets.
It is a N and P kit and made in japan!
It cost me £29.00 pounds, but with taxes and post it cost just over £40.00 pounds, its daylight robbery!
cheers
Phillip

·
Registered
40 Posts
Hi Ronny,
An update on the gasket set, the stem seals will not go over the stems, the hole being 5mm whilst the stems are 7mm so thats £20 poundsworth of genuine Honda seals required then, I think I am losing the will to live......
cheers
Phillip

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks chaps.

I guess the consensus is that it's safest to order the seals in addition to a gasket kit.

Phil - I'm daaan sarf - the wrong side of London. And if you think the prices on these things are steep, you really don't want to know the ordeal I'm going through at the moment with both the 450 and an SL350 I'm rebuilding. Don't get me started on camshafts and rockers . . .

Cheers

Neil

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
I have read Honda upgraded the Valve Stem Seals on the CB500T. They should reto-fit onto the CB450.

·
Registered
40 Posts
dear Neil,
I do want to know, as does everyone else, and it wrankles that my top end overhaul is going to cost me as much as our U.S. cousins could go out and buy a whole bike for! i reckon at least £250.00 if i am lucky.
In fact it would be an interesting comparison to know how much it would cost stateside to do the above to include new rings and camchain.
The parts i will have replaced are the following
oil seals
stem seals
gasket set
clutch springs
cam chain
piston rings.
Cheers
Phillip

1 - 11 of 11 Posts