Honda Twins banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone happen to have 1:1 scale drawings for CL/CB450 gaskets in PDF, DXF, DWG or some CAD format? In particular I’m looking for the left and right engine cover gaskets, alternator cover gasket, and valve cover gaskets.

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
mtnlvr said:
Does anyone happen to have 1:1 scale drawings for CL/CB450 gaskets in PDF, DXF, DWG or some CAD format? In particular I’m looking for the left and right engine cover gaskets, alternator cover gasket, and valve cover gaskets.
No, but I have photocopies of them.
Couldn't figure out how to keep the scale proper when scanning.........

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thats kinda what I'm running into as well. My CAD software insists on scaling the image to 1 pixel = 1 mm. If I scan at 800 dpi SolidWorks imports the drawing to 800 dots or lines fitting in 800mm or 25.4 dots per 25.4mm or 25.4 dots per inch. So I took 25.4/800 which equals .03175. If I apply that scaling factor to the image it results in what appears to be 1/2 the actual size. If I multiply that .03175 factor by 2 (.0635) and use it to scale the image, it end up pretty damn close. I'm not sure why I'd have to multiply by 2 though.

Here's what I get for overall size of the intake gasket when I scan at 800 dpi and scale by .0635 in SolidWorks.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
Well, if you can come up with a file that will print out dead-on, let the rest of us know.
For now, I'll stick with the photo copies.......

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The gaskets that I'm scanning are used. If someone has new gaskets for the 450 that they could scan at a high resolution (say 800 or higher) and email them to me, I would be more than happy to provide dxf CAD files for download. These files could then be used to print (similar to a photocopy), but more importantly they could be used to get gaskets laser or waterjet cut from a gasket company.

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
I can send you a set of my photocopies - the size is accurate, by definition.

The only caveat is that the right (clutch) engine cover is on two pages, but they can be lined up and properly registered pretty easily......

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's worth a shot. As long as the photocopies have good definition so when I scan them I'm able to import them into CAD, zoom way in and "trace" them accurrately, size / place holes / features appropritately, etc. Are you talking email or USPS?

Costing for lasercut gaskets are relatively cheap. I had quoted a small run of 4" x 4" square gaskets made out of viton (which is more expensive than most other nitrile binder gasket) and they came back with a 2 week lead time at $1.50 each with a $30 min order. What I don't know is if that $30 min applies to one part number or if you could order 20 different gaskets or if the min order was based on home many gaskets can be made out of a sheet.

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
mtnlvr said:
It's worth a shot. As long as the photocopies have good definition so when I scan them I'm able to import them into CAD, zoom way in and "trace" them accurrately, size / place holes / features appropritately, etc. Are you talking email or USPS?

Costing for lasercut gaskets are relatively cheap. I had quoted a small run of 4" x 4" square gaskets made out of viton (which is more expensive than most other nitrile binder gasket) and they came back with a 2 week lead time at $1.50 each with a $30 min order. What I don't know is if that $30 min applies to one part number or if you could order 20 different gaskets or if the min order was based on home many gaskets can be made out of a sheet.
PM me with an address.....

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
PM sent. Also...do you have thicknesses noted on your photocopies?

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Bummer. There are a few gaskets where thickness is more critical than others. Right side cover may be one depending on how the oil filter interacts with the cover. Cam end cap / bushing gaskets may be another. No worries for now...unless you have fresh gaskets to measure. ;)

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
mtnlvr said:
Bummer. There are a few gaskets where thickness is more critical than others. Right side cover may be one depending on how the oil filter interacts with the cover. Cam end cap / bushing gaskets may be another. No worries for now...unless you have fresh gaskets to measure. ;)

I do - but it's a Vesrah kit, so......

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
What brand would be desirable Bill?? I have a few NOS 450 sets laying around that I could put the calipers to.

GB :mrgreen:

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The NOS would be preferred. I'd hope the aftermarket ones are similar though.

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
They aren't NOS Honda. Just NOS. I can't remember the brand name right now but they're from the late 70's - early 80's I'd say. They're not Vesrah.

MM or inches?

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
The specific problems I've had with Vesrah (450) kits include holes punched in the wrong places (on cam cover gaskets particularly) and missing stuff - especially the o-rings that go on the oil filter cover, and valve guide seals. One of the o--rings mentioned is NLA and almost impossible to find - so I never throw the old ones away........

Other things I've heard are entirely anecdotal, second and third hand reports.

As far as performance, I can't really report any problems with Vesrah gaskets.......they seem to work fine for me.

So draw your own conclusions....I'll mail the photocopies tomorrow.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
tbp...send 'em on over. I'll verify them by overlaying them over scans of the actual covers.

mojo...whatever units you please is fine. I can use either...I'm ambimeasurous. :|

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
Both gasket sets I have are the same brand. Best Gasket - cycle division. Made in Gardena California. Red and white striped, with blue top on the package. Like I said, they're pretty old sets and NOS still in their original packages. I can't comment on the fitment but I did try the stator cover and clutch cover gasket and all holes line up perfectly.

Of particular interest to Bill - They include all of the o-rings. 2 large - 1 medium - 4 small (tiny) but no valve seals. It came with 1 clutch cover gasket, 1 base, 1 head, 1 stator, 1 underneath stator, 1 tensioner, 2 valve cover, 2 intake, interestingly it has 2 points cover (possibly for spacing to prevent arcing), and 4 cam "bearing" gaskets.

Measurements for all gaskets besides the head gasket are between .51-.53mm or .022"

I had bought a set on Ebay and when I got them I noticed one was torn. The clutch cover gasket. I emailed the seller and he said keep em, and sent me another set for free. SWEET!

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
Bird76Mojo said:
Of particular interest to Bill - They include all of the o-rings. 2 large - 1 medium - 4 small (tiny) but no valve seals.
I don't think that's all the o-rings....
The two large ones are probably the cylinder base o-rings, the medium is probably one of the oil filter cover o-rings, the 4 smaller ones are probably for the follower shafts.
Still needed are the one behind the oil filter (really small), the other one for the oil filter cover (NLA), and the ones for the knock pins between the cylinder and head. There's also one that goes around the starter motor.
There may be more that I just don't remember right now......

·
Registered
101 Posts
I just installed Vesrah gaskets on a 450 and found it wasn't to bad. Did LH cover, timing, valve, points covers, tensioner, intakes. Some wiggling was required to get the screws through. Dowel pins on LH cover lined up just fine. Close, but OK.

I just picked up a scanner and will endeavor to scan what I can and figure out the scaling. There is a small app called IsIplot http://www.profili2.com/ip_eng/default.htm I've used to scale construction plans for stick & tissue model airplanes. It works well and will totally dial in the dimensions.

So how about a web database for scanned, cleaned up and tested gasket outlines? I would think an ink and gasket material combo can be found to be suitable. Most printers will handle printing on thinker media. This technique revolutionized, in my opinion, the world of model airplane building. So much more is available now than, heck, 10 yrs.ago.

Ah, tiny airplanes......http://www.youtube.com/user/ronminiatures & http://www.smallflyingarts.com/

NE

1 - 20 of 29 Posts