Honda Twins banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I posted part of this in another thread, but I'm beginning to wonder if two things I'm noticing are related.......I'm new to my CL350 and the world of carbs, so please bear with me.

Since I bought my CL350 a few days ago, I've noticed that there's a lot of pressure whenever I open the gas tank cap. I understand that the tank vents through the cap, correct? Should I be noticing any pressure release when I turn the cap? The tank was lined with Kreem by the previous owner, so I'm wondering if that might have something to do with it (I don't seem to see a vent tube - my first guess was maybe it was blocked somehow). There's nothing obviously wrong with the cap that I can tell either.

Related to this (?), the right side carb overflowed out the drain tube when I left the petcock on. Stuck needle seems to be a likely culprit there (something like that anyway).

Could the two events be connected somehow? I'm figuring that the carbs just need cleaning, but the tank issue has me a bit concerned too.

Thanks!

·
Sensei
27,163 Posts
DO NOT START BIKE UNTIL YOU CHANGE THE OIL AGAIN...(If the oil smells at all of fuel).... IF the vent is clogged (it's in the cap) and the bike is solar heated you may get pressure...if the vent is clogged and some/the fuel drained out, you may be hearing air intake

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
66Sprint said:
DO NOT START BIKE UNTIL YOU CHANGE THE OIL AGAIN...(If the oil smells at all of fuel).... IF the vent is clogged (it's in the cap) and the bike is solar heated you may get pressure...if the vent is clogged and some/the fuel drained out, you may be hearing air intake
Yup. I had already drained the oil, so I was ok there. Doesn't seem like anything went into the crankcase (the oil drain pan was still sitting under the open drain plug when the carb overflowed and there's no gas in it).

I went to start up the bike this morning and no go. It seems to be turning over, but not really catching. At one point, before I killed the battery, it did seem to catch for just a few seconds. It's now back on a battery tender (no luck with the kickstart either - it's not exactly working great and slips a lot). One issue might be that I had the choke set wrong (I always forget which way to put it when I start it up - I know I want it closed, but I always forget which way that is). By the time I had sorted out the choke and cleared the carb, I think (I hope) I had just worn down the battery.

Before I checked the valves/timing 2 days ago, it did start right up (roughly mind you), so I'm thinking I must have done something wrong. Either that or the carb overflow might have messed something up I guess.

I think I'll pull the spark plugs next and check them. After that I'll drain the oil and re-check the valves and timing again. I'm thinking that the fact it no longer starts must have something to do with what I last did to it. It sounds like the carbs aren't good in any case, but I'm assuming they haven't gotten worse in the 2 days since I started it last. I'd at least like to get it back to where it was before (running) rather than introduce new variables into the mix.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Sounds like you should do a top-down static tuning - just to eliminate the more obvious reasons for a motor not starting. Check compression - low compression = not starting. Starting either will get a low compression motor running. Check the fuel cock to be sure it actually shuts off the fuel (you can do this by taking your float bowls off and seeing if fuel keeps dripping out for an extended period). Make a test gauge and set the float levels with the fuel on, and hold the gauge in place to see if any fuel leaks past the valves when they're closed. Crank the motor over and check for a regular spark on each side. Put clean plugs in and, without turning the fuel on, spray a little fuel into each carb throat (think like half a water pistol squirt) and crank the motor. It should fire a few times then die. Turn on the fuel, close the choke, crank a couple times. If it doesn't fire, open the choke and try it that way.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It lives!! :D

I tried starting it again yesterday and it reluctantly turned over. Then I discovered that the left cylinder was dead (sigh). Last time it was the right one that was dead, so at least I know they both work now. :lol:

I checked the spark plugs today and was happy to discover that this time it was just a badly fouled plug on the left side (no spark from that plug hooked up on either side, but the other plug sparked well on both sides). I managed to find a replacement plug (only one left in town) and replaced the bad one. The other one will need replacement soon enough, but that's for another day.

Now for the big moment.....I hit the starter tonight and it fired up on both sides! It ran much better than it did when I bought it last week. Almost no popping, and no backfiring. The kickstart even seems to work now. Woo hoo! I guess that timing/valve adjustment really paid off (compression is also good - 155 on left, 165 on right when cold). I took it for my first ride and everything was great. Brakes worked well, tires held air, and it shifts as better than my 2007 Yamaha (although it's tough for me to upshift without lifting up my whole leg - I think it's because the footpegs/bar are badly bent). It pulled smoothly most of the time, with only a little hesitation at lower rpm.

It's not all roses and buttercups of course. I think I was running with the choke pretty much full on - only way it ran well and idled without stalling. The 'old' plugs looked very rich too, so I suspect I'll have to tear into the carbs to get it running smoothly (after I play with the idle and air screw of course) and I'll be looking for air leaks around the intake boot.

Oh yeah - it did stall out a couple of blocks from home and didn't want to fire back up for some reason. I was low on gas and running on reserve, but it seemed to work once I switched off reserve (petcock down). I'm wondering if the previous owner screwed something up when he did a Kreem job on the tank and rebuilt the petcock.

I have a looong way to go with this bike, but at least it runs! I plan to take it on a few short rides and get familiar with it before I do anything else.

Thanks everyone!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts