Honda Twins banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any tips on removing the sticker on the gas tank without destroying the paint? I have an ‘81 with immaculate paint but cannot stand looking at that nasty warning sticker.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
10,203 Posts
Taking a leap of faith here that you are referring to the 81 CM400 in your introduction I have moved your post to the SOHC misc section of the forum.

I've never tried to remove that particular decal while preserving the paint, but I'm sure someone around here has . They'll be along.

·
Banned
854 Posts
You could try goo gone but I would test on the underside or somewhere inconspicuous first.

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
I see 2 issues with doing that - first, if the bike has been outside in the sun for any length of time the sticker will be sun-baked and tough, and second, the paint will look different under it due to fade around the sticker. May end up with a sticker-like darker spot

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I see 2 issues with doing that - first, if the bike has been outside in the sun for any length of time the sticker will be sun-baked and tough, and second, the paint will look different under it due to fade around the sticker. May end up with a sticker-like darker spot

I thought of that. Bike on has 2700 miles and sat inside most of the time. Even if a little discolored, I rather look at a dark spot than the sticker.

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
This is actually what I want to remove. View attachment 271690

FYI....not my tank
Yes I know, you plainly stated it was a warning sticker, but is it clear coated over?

If its just a sticker on the surface you'll want to use your thumbnail, hair dryer, repeat. Once the sticker is off use wd-40 to remove any residue.

If that's too slow for you and you just want more power, use a heat gun. But be careful not to overheat the sticker or paint. Peel with your thumbnail, the sticker should never get too hot to touch. Clean up residue with goo-gone but again be careful and test on an inconspicuous area like your rear tank mount before ruining your paint job.

The other day I ruined (melted) a plastic part by wiping with goof-off remover, don't use that stuff here.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts