Honda Twins banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are all the Post 70's CB 450 gas tanks the same ? Reason I ask, is that I have a 74' CB 450 K7 and want to change the paint scheme to the 72' Red with Gold Stripe. I want to make sure before I order the tank decals that the gas tanks were the same ?

·
Premium Member
1,938 Posts
1971 did not have the bottom chrome strip either. I have a picture of my '71 CB450 when it was new and there was no bottom strip. I think that was added in 1972. There is also something different about the tunnel area of the '72. I went and looked at a '72 tank and seat one time, and decided not to buy them for use on my 1970 K3. I don't remember now what the difference was, but I think there was a chrome strip on the '72 tank that I was looking at.

·
Registered
3,538 Posts
From what i understand, all the tanks from K1 through the K7 are interchangeable. The K4 got the faux chrome strip.

·
Premium Member
1,938 Posts
James, you seem sure about that. What is the basis for your statement? Did you own one from new? Is there a source somewhere that you are citing? It's no big deal, but I'm curious.

I believe the 1972 K5 got the first chrome strip. Other difference was when they went from rear hinged seat to side hinged seat. I think, but am not sure, that this affected the rear mounting tab on the tank.

This comes up on 1971 Honda CB450 K4 | Bike EXIF

How about it Bill? Did you peel the chrome strip off the bottom of your tank?
[h=1]1971 Honda CB450 K4[/h]

From Motorcycle Classics, another 1971 CB450 K4

Here's a grab from a 1972 K5 Owner's Manual, where you can see the chrome trim strip.

·
Premium Member
5,550 Posts
Yeah I read my sources wrong, 72 got the strip, either way tank shape is the same for the years OP quoted, stickers should be just fine.

FWIW, I liked the look of the strip and added it to my '71. :p

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
James, you seem sure about that. What is the basis for your statement? Did you own one from new? Is there a source somewhere that you are citing? It's no big deal, but I'm curious.

I believe the 1972 K5 got the first chrome strip. Other difference was when they went from rear hinged seat to side hinged seat. I think, but am not sure, that this affected the rear mounting tab on the tank.

This comes up on 1971 Honda CB450 K4 | Bike EXIF

How about it Bill? Did you peel the chrome strip off the bottom of your tank?
1971 Honda CB450 K4

Ray -

You are correct, chrome strip on tank and side-mount seat both occurred at K5. Also, K5 had chrome fork ears and the larger headlight and taillights. Grab bar behind the seat appeared with K6.
I did not remove a chrome strip from that tank. The photo of my 450 rider is actually a K4, with K2/K3 side cover emblems.
I wouldn't draw any conclusions from my bike though, as there are parts from 5 or 6 different Honda models on it..........

·
Premium Member
1,938 Posts
Thanks, I was also curious about which year they switched to the side-mount seat. I thought it was K5, but wasn't sure.

If your bike came from 5 or 6 different model years, you did a beautiful job of blending.

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
Thanks, I was also curious about which year they switched to the side-mount seat. I thought it was K5, but wasn't sure.

If your bike came from 5 or 6 different model years, you did a beautiful job of blending.
Not just model years, different models entirely.........
Parts from:
CB450 K2-3-4
CB360
CB400 T2
CB750C
CB550
speedo/tach from unknown model
Plus all the aftermarket stuff.

Here's a couple of as-bought photos from the beginning - pretty sad.
The bike had about 2" of sideplay in the swingarm - I'm surprised the PO is still alive, he actually rode it like that.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,837 Posts
Lot of things changed in 71'. Depends on if it was early or late. I think you'll be fine with your stickers.
To clarify, I believe lots of things changed mid model year in 71'. They used up the parts they had so early/late production bikes will be different. You can't pin it down. For example my 71' was built early and has the painted fork ears and other things different from a late 71' with the chrome ears ect...

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
To clarify, I believe lots of things changed mid model year in 71'. They used up the parts they had so early/late production bikes will be different. You can't pin it down. For example my 71' was built early and has the painted fork ears and other things different from a late 71' with the chrome ears ect...
This is one of the reasons we stick with K-models here, instead of "years". I see you're in Wisconsin, one of the few states to title on the engine number, right?
Also, bikes were often titled as the year they were sold back then, not what their VIN tags said. I've seen K4's titled as 1972 models, etc.
What does your VIN tag call your bike, K4 probably??
I've never personally seen a K4 with chrome fork ears, etc., and I've seen a LOT of 450's......

·
Registered
2,837 Posts
This is one of the reasons we stick with K-models here, instead of "years". I see you're in Wisconsin, one of the few states to title on the engine number, right?
Also, bikes were often titled as the year they were sold back then, not what their VIN tags said. I've seen K4's titled as 1972 models, etc.
What does your VIN tag call your bike, K4 probably??
I've never personally seen a K4 with chrome fork ears, etc., and I've seen a LOT of 450's......
Could be, I just thought I've seen bikes with k4 and k5 parts before that seemed original. I know my k4 has the lower triple that would be used with the earlier steering dampers.

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
Could be, I just thought I've seen bikes with k4 and k5 parts before that seemed original. I know my k4 has the lower triple that would be used with the earlier steering dampers.

All 5-speed 450's use the same bottom clamp and stem/bearings - the top clamps changed a number of times.
The bearings and races are common to about a zillion different Honda models.

My bike has a 450 stem welded into a bottom clamp from a CB360, with CB400 T2 (33mm ) forks.
I also have the friction steering damper from a CB450 K2 (or maybe K1, not sure) on it.

U.S. models were pretty clearly defined and consistent - not so with Import/Export or Euro models, which show a LOT of variations.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.