Honda Twins banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My gas tank had been sealed before using a sealer that's gray in color. They guy must have done a poor job because it's peeling up on the bottom of the tank and underneath is surface rust. I've put a bunch of bolts/nuts in the tank and shook it around to dislodge as much of the peeling coating as possible. On some parts of the tank, especially near the filler, the coating appears to be on there rear good (probably b/c there was no rust underneath).

My question is how should I proceed from here? I don't mind sealing the tank myself. I've done a car gas tank before. I was looking at the POR15 kit and the KBS Coatings kit. Kreem seems to have a bad rep and I'm not sure if that is what was used on mine.

My local radiator shop will boil it out for $25 using a caustic acid, but I'm not sure that will get rid of all the old sealer. They don't seal gas tanks. Is this a better option and doing it myself using a $20 gallon of MEK?

·
Registered
8,867 Posts
Not to be picky but what is a caustic acid?
I understood that they were kind of opposites chemically, and pretty reactive when mixed.
Caustic soda and Hydrocloric acid for instance, mix at your peril (please dont do this at home its only an example) and ensure you have bycycle clips firmly in place
I had a guy clear out all the rust from my 450K0 tank with no need to use any goo at all. I am sure that its better than the coatings if you can find someone that can do it in the US.

·
Registered
8,867 Posts
No Worries
MEK is a pretty nasty chemical though? I can only say that the chap that did my tank used a safe organic chemical which I believe was based on citric acid, he didnt tell me fully though as it was his business, and any way I dont expect i would have fully understood.
It was a system used more usually in the past, he was a chemist, and I must say it really was an excellent job, 2 years now and no reoccourance. The tank was covered inside with 12 years of rust before he started work on it.

·
Registered
46 Posts
The POR15 tank sealing kit ends up leaving a medium-grey color layer over the tank, and apparently it isn't too uncommon to have it peel & chip off. This just happened to the tank I did about 8 months ago, and it hasn't even seen gasoline yet! :evil:

You can see the actual color in my project log thread, in the most recent post

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That looks like the color of mine. In my case, it appears that proper preparation of the inside of the tank was done prior to sealing it. I think I will spend the $25 and let the radiator shop have a go with it.

I am thinking I should remove the gas cap as I'm not sure what the acid would do to the chrome. It looks like I'll need to drill off one end, rendering the pin useless. What should I replace it with?

·
Registered
205 Posts
On the pin, perhaps a small machine screw of similar size?

Will the radiator shop's work also remove the rust? If not, a couple gallons of white vinegar and an overnight or so of soaking, along with a handful of metal bits and a vigorous shake, will remove it.

·
Premium Member
667 Posts
Why not let the radiator shop do the sealing also?

·
Registered
209 Posts
Cevan, the pin to the gas cap can be replaced. You will want to drill it out, along with unscrewing the small long screw ( or drill out the pin ) that holds the latch.

As for sealing your tank, read the following attachment. It's a 2 part epoxy system that likes to go over rusty surfaces and can go over a POR'd or Kreemed tank that went bad. I just got my kit in today ( $53 and change total with shippping ) via UPS.

http://www.caswellplating.com/aids/epoxygas.htm

Hopefully I'll be able to get mine done by next weekend ( wife's ta-do list first LOL )

Hope this helps.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts