Honda Twins banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My tank had some rust in it so I used vinegar (two day soak) and a chain - I couldn't believe how well it worked.
A few days later when I had to drain the tank again it came back. This is probably also due in part to the fact that my cap is presently unable to latch.

What I would like to know is how to prevent rust from re-occurring so I've researched this quite a bit and found mostly the following answers both for rust prevention during riding season and also during storage. I wanted to get a vote on what you guys think is the best method.

And if anyone knows what people used back in the day before all the new sealers came along please do share.

A) Kreem
B) Red Kote
C) Seafoam or 2-cycle Oil (used occasionally mixed in with gas)
D) WD40
E) Just keep the tank full

·
Registered
4,770 Posts
The where are you is related to how you should store... Oxygen causes rust, no oxygen no rust. If you want to stop it , you could dry store it if the ambient humidity is aground 0% or full it with oil if the humidity is 100% my cd175 tank is pretty good after I stored it for 15 years at an average of 79% by filling the tank to overflow with fuel but after 15 years the petcock gaskets were toast

If your putting I away for winter you could try ( to store) washing the tank in oil so there's a good coat inside on all surfaces- (to ride) washing it out again with gas (dump after swishing , repeat a few times ) then clean/ check petcock and full the tank.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i'm in southwest Virginia (about ten minutes from tennessee) and would consider the climate nothing out of the ordinary
except this year we are having higher than average rainfall

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've used Kreem in the past on several tanks but I recently had a Kreemed tank totally fail and it was quite the mess to remove. On a suggestion from a friend (who has a collection of about 40 fully restored bikes that mainly sit on display) I tried "Metal Rescue". Apparently it's a water based product and isn't toxic nor harmful to paint. I've now done a couple tanks with it, and I simply swished a little oil around once I was done and put in the gas. Metal Rescue somehow leaves the metal in a more stable state than most other things I've tried, and the metal doesn't seem prone to flashing over with rust once it hits air. Time will tell if additional coating is needed in the future, but the jobs I did last winter are still looking perfect. I also recently dipped some chrome hardware off my CB175 in the stuff to clean them up and it worked great. Metal Rescue is available at Home Depot.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
To be honest I've had a grudge against the sealers from the get go of my questioning.
Nothing lasts forever and rust seems easier and cheaper to fight than sealer compounds when they lose their oomph.

The vinegar makes it look nearly new inside but it lacks the stability you mentioned you got from metal rescue.
The first time I did it the rust was back in a couple days.
But I haven't tried the oil swish either so maybe that would help a bit.

How much oil is "a little oil"?
Do I need to swish the oil out with gas and dump before I fill the tank?
A few people I've mentioned this method to looked at me kinda funny :?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Finally got a lock latch on to keep the fuel cap closed.
Re-soaked full tank of vinegar overnight, added a dog chain and a fair amount of shaking, pristine inside.
Drained and washed out with industrial strength degreaser, rinsed till clear, more shaking and swinging about in the air.
Added a few cups of fuel, about 1/4 cup of seafoam and 3 capfuls of 2cycle oil.
More shaking and swinging about.
Put the petcock back on and blocked the fuel holes, just in case.
So far, still pristine.

Will I need to swish this out with gas before I fill up?
(the tank will need to sit this way for a bit while i'm waiting on parts)

thanks!

·
Registered
26 Posts
I was against sealers too, but I guess what sold me on POR 15 is that the paint actually hardens when in contact with moisture or somthing like that, I don't know. All I know is that I electrolosised the inside of my tank with a fair amount of success. once the rust started to come up at a real slow rate I decided to purchace the tank sealer. now everytime you look in the tank the gas is crystal clear, and no more fuel filters! Good luck.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Hello All, this thread has been huge help with what to do about rust in a tank. What does adding a dog chain to the mix do?

·
Registered
150 Posts
Hello All, this thread has been huge help with what to do about rust in a tank. What does adding a dog chain to the mix do?
Vinegar/chemicals dissolve small bits of rust from surfaces. The chain helps knock loose larger bits. I've seen people also recommend using screws, but I don't recommend it. It's a real PITA to get them back out. The chain is easy to get a hold of.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Ahhhh ok so when you're shaking the whole thing up the rattling of the chain inside is similiar to a "sanding, scraping" action

1 - 11 of 11 Posts