Honda Twins banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

I have a gas tank off an 80 Twinstar and when I was restoring the bike, I took it to a friend of my father's to have it repainted since the factory red was extremely faded and I wanted a different color. The guy did a great job, but unfortunately, the tank developed a leak from one of the screw holes for the decal on one side. This caused the paint to bubble. I took it back and the guy tried his best to fix it by filling in the screw holes and repainting it, but yet again, the bubbles came back a few months later and have continued to get worse until I poked a few holes in the paint a month ago. Today, I removed the decal that was now held on by double sided tape and it took a lot of the paint and primer off with it. I'm thinking it's probably time to get it fixed. Here are some pictures of what it looks like now and what it looked like at it's worst.

IMG_20190615_171820.jpg IMG_20190615_171837.jpg IMG_20190522_173459_01.jpg

Since I have some free time coming up, I'm thinking I might try my hand at coating the inside of the tank and then maybe take it back a third time just to get the paint fixed, but I'm unsure how well this would work, I'd hate for the paint to bubble up a third time. Does this sound like a reasonable plan? If not, I'd like to just take the tank to someone who can fix this whole mess. If any of you know someone in the Portland OR area that can professionally take care of this, I would greatly appreciate the recommendation.

Thank you.

·
Registered
581 Posts
From the looks of it, you have more problems than a tank coat will help with. You have visible filler forward of that impressive hole. At the very least, you would need to completely strip that tank down to bare metal to assess how much overall damage there is. I would look for another tank. I'm not sure how rare your tank is, though. If it is an uncommon tank, then it may be worth it to try to have it repaired.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
.. the fuel is "wicking" under the paint. I'm betting he used a lacquer primer.. that crap is cheap and will wipe off with any solvent. The inside condition of the tank will tell u what to do.. if it's clean (no rust) it looks good like long screws may have been the culprit. If it's rusted, this is just the beginning... upend it up,look. A simple braze weld may just be needed to reseal.. as for the paint. I only use ppg-dp series primers. It ain't cheap, but you can wash it down with gas and it won't break down.
Pressure test it.. find and mark the leaks.. strip it down.. looks like there is filler in that spot.. see what your dealing with before you begin.. it will help with your forward progress.

·
Premium Member
24,208 Posts
I'll recommend Mac's in Portland. https://macsradiator.com/auto-repair-portland-or/
They saved a CB450SC tank, the ones that always rot out in the lower rear corners, and lined the tank as well. Not cheap, I think it was @$200. The paint will probably be ruined so you might talk to them first, possibly just get the tank media blasted to strip it to bare metal.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts