Honda Twins banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help! I have a 1975 CB200T and I was checking my oil and noticed it was very thin with a gas smell. When I drained the oil it flowed out like water.
I have seen some one else in the forum talk about gas seeping into the case, but I could not find the thread. Does anyone else have this issue and know how to fix it?
I have been doing a lot of work on the carbs so it is possible that the floats weren't adjusted correctly. But how does that get to the case?
Wolf

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
Do a search for gas in oil. A number of threads should pop up

Do you turn off the petcock when done riding?
I actually turn mine off a block or two before my destination.

·
Premium Member
10,203 Posts
As above. The float valves in these old bikes are barely adequate. When the petcock is left on some fuel gets by causing the carb to overflow (it's supposed to go out the overflow standpipe but.......................) This can get into the cylinder, past the rings, and into the oil. It doesn't take much to trash an engine.

·
Banned
854 Posts
Did you leave the petcock open? As long as you remember to shut it off every time probably shouldn't be an issue going forward.

·
Registered
2,987 Posts
You might pull the fuel lines off the petcock and watch it for a while to see if gas is leaking in the shut-off position.

Reactions: J-T and ancientdad

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i am now turning off the petcock when it goes into the garage. Plus I idle in the driveway until the carbs go dry.
I just wanted to make sure this wasn't some issue with the engine or tappets.
Thanks for the quick replies!

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
If it keeps happening then the petcock might be leaking. I usually run clear fuel lines and keep an eye on things. Once confirm then I feel comfortable switching to black lines.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts