Honda Twins banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello-

I'm hoping to buy an older Nighthawk for mechanical restoration. I've got my eye on a 1982 CB450SC that has been sitting for 10 years, and of course is not running. It has 13k miles. The owner (original) is asking $550.

I've already found a lot of great information on this website (e.g., CB450SC model year carb differences). One specific concern I have is whether parts are easily available for top end work. What if I buy it and it has low compression or something of that nature? For $550, I guess that is the risk you take.

I have owned about 10 bikes if you include dirt bikes. I currently have a 2017 Africa Twin. I like it, but there isn't anything to fix or tinker on:) Thus, my interest in a Nighthawk.

I'd appreciate any general advice folks might have about the CB450SC in terms of whether it is a good candidate for mechanical restoration.

Oh, I'm located in Evergreen, Colorado USA. I'll update my profile once I get a bike.

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
$1 per CC is a good guideline for a non-runner.

·
Premium Member
10,203 Posts
All the SOHC twins are solid, reliable bikes. Parts are generally available and they're not particularly hard to work on.

Non-running bikes can be a crap shoot. Is it just not running because it was sitting for 10 years or has it been sitting for 10 years because it wouldn't run? Since these bikes have no kickstarter you can't turn it over to at least feel if stuff is moving. You can put it in gear (the highest gear you can get to) and try "bumping" it. You could make an offer contingent on connecting it to a battery and verifying that the engine is loose. Maybe even put a compression tester on it although, on a long sitting engine, that pretty much just tells you that it has some.

Here's a discussion that can help you visualize what is involved in getting a "barn find" safely back on the road:

https://www.hondatwins.net/forums/5...n/18505-basic-checklist-new-you-old-bike.html

And then there's the cosmetic stuff...........................................

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Post some pics of it if you can.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts