Honda Twins banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
You already have a three phase 'full wave' (???) alternator. On these early Hondas only two phases are directly conneted to the two phase rectifier, the third coil winding switched by the headlight handlebar switch to one side of the two phase rectifier, to give a boost when lights are in circuit. Any modern three phase rectifier units can be wired in directly to the three phases of the alternators outputs.

·
Registered
589 Posts
There may be a better way . . .

Hey there

It seems to be a fairly common mod, but TBH the method described seems to be an overly complicated way of achieving the same basic result as the boys demonstrate in this video:

HTH

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys, im no electrical expert, but i can copy about anything. I did not realize that these stators were full wave already. Thats why i asked, i wanted to bounce it off someone who knows more than me about this. I will watch the video, thanks again!

·
Sensei
27,173 Posts
Three Phase systems typically generate equal amounts of output between the live and neutral wire for each of the 3 phases...These Honda twin/permanent magnet bikes do NOT......

Three phases REQUIRE the coil pairings to be magnetically affected at differing times, hence initiating the different phases....These do NOT....

SIX magnets simultaneously affecting six windings sixty degrees (or three pairs 120 degrees) apart apart DOES produce a full wave output, but with ZERO timing differential, hence it is a single phase by definition......
(You might call it three single phase generators wired in parallel, but it is not three different phases due to the synchronicity of the timing of generation)

Ask yourself WHY the Honda electrical engineers supplied a single phase, full wave bridge rectifier instead of the three interconnected half wave bridges found in a three phase rectifier.......
IF it produced three phases, it would REQUIRE three phase rectification.......

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
Three phase REQUIRES four connections to the alternator.....There are only three on the Honda set-up.....

Three Phase systems typically generate equal amounts of output between the live and neutral wire for each of the 3 phases...These Honda twin/permanent magnet bikes do NOT......

Three phases REQUIRE the coil pairings to be magnetically affected at differing times, hence initiating the different phases....These do NOT....

SIX magnets simultaneously affecting six windings sixty degrees (or three pairs 120 degrees) apart apart DOES produce a full wave output, but with ZERO timing differential, hence it is a single phase by definition......
(You might call it three single phase generators wired in parallel, but it is not three different phases due to the synchronicity of the timing of generation)

Ask yourself WHY the Honda electrical engineers supplied a single phase, full wave bridge rectifier instead of the three interconnected half wave bridges found in a three phase rectifier.......
IF it produced three phases, it would REQUIRE three phase rectification.......
Well, there goes my viewing pleasure...

·
Registered
2,561 Posts
Three phase REQUIRES four connections to the alternator.....There are only three on the Honda set-up.....
Not if there is no neutral. My Suzuki VS800 had three phases wired in a delta configuration, with a 6-diode rectifier, but no neutral. The coils are timed very different, magnetically, from the classic Honda design.

·
Sensei
27,173 Posts
Rick,
Can't (or doesn't) the delta config. use the "ground" as the neutral return? (Hence the fourth connection)?

Nevermind,
The third (high) leg to ground would then be much higher voltage, probably too much in a bike's system, its got to be a Delta with NO common...

·
Registered
2,561 Posts
I think they went with the delta three-phase system to reduce the ripple currents by increasing the frequency; all the bikes that have electronics that I've seen schematics for do it this way. The exception is my Valkyrie, which uses the same kind of alternator you find in an auto or truck (same for the regular 'Wing).

·
Premium Member
2,838 Posts
Are you going to troll every single charging system thread?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts