Honda Twins banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!

Bought a 85 450 Nighthawk for my sister as a wedding present. Past owner had the carbs cleaned and sync'd. It will run without choke but hiccups every once in awhile. 3/4- Full choke will ride nicely and idle great. Would this be the idle screw or something I need to take apart in the carb.

I looked in a few threads and didn't quite see what I wanted.

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
When a bike runs better with the choke on, it means you're either not getting enough gas or you're getting too much air. Could be a carb adjustment, something clogging a jet or fuel passage, wrong size jets, defective/stopped up petcock, clogged tank vent, intake air leak, etc.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Pilot jet is probably plugged.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Well there's your problem for sure massive air leaks.

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
^^^^^^ Too much air from leaky boots. Erratic idle will result.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Replaced the insulators/boots. Checked the Pilot jet and main jet, those were clear. Bike will still only start and idle with full choke, any less and it dies. I hope I didn't clog the pilot with the silicone I put with the Oring. What else could I do? Buy a bigger jet for the bike? The intake boots are pretty secure, Airbox boots are on but tiny bit loose to the airbox. Carb looks good on the inside.

Before I was done for the night, I saw that the air host from the tank to the carb was crusty and old. I'm going to replace that today and hopefully something changes.

·
Premium Member
10,203 Posts
Correct, that would have been a bad place for silicone. Should not be necessary on the intake boots but shouldn't hurt anything either.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well adjust the idle on the carbs, richen out a turn and bike seems to idle great without choke. Took a ride and does well. I like where it is.

Does anyone know the riding temp of the bike?

·
Premium Member
1,938 Posts
You sound like you know what you are doing, but more than one person with the symptoms you describe (engine only runs with full choke) has misunderstood the choke's on/off positions. When they thought they were running full choke, the choke was fully off, and vice versa.

Reactions: workdogz2 and J-T
1 - 16 of 16 Posts