Honda Twins banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am repainting a tank for my CB450 and have a few dents that I would like to bring out some before I start with the bondo. Has anyone ever used the Dent Wizard ( or something similar ) that uses glue to attach threaded puller rods and a bridge that comes with them to pull on the threaded rods to pull the area out? I know that body shops have weldable rods that can be used with slide hammers but I have seen the glue type as well. I also found some suction cups on line that look interesting. I have done a few tanks but have always been able to get in behid with something to pop them our closer to where the surface needed to be but this one is going to need something else.
Thanks Don
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,495 Posts
Don,

If the dents aren't too bad, just bondo them.
Dent-puller-outer schemes often do more damage than good on 450 tanks.
If you insist on doing it, start on the edges of the dent and work to the middle - don't start in the middle of the dent.......
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Most of them can be filled with no problem but there is one that I would like to pull out some. I appreciate the tip on working them out. I have a friend that is a body man and I may see if he has any opinions before I screw it up. I can do all the other prepping and painting. I have also done panel repairs on cars but these tanks are a quite a bit more challenging.
Don
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
134 Posts
i have never done it but i have heard that you can fill and freeze it to pop out big ones
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
10,203 Posts
roundman72 said:
i have never done it but i have heard that you can fill and freeze it to pop out big ones
Sounds like you're saying you can fill the tank with water then freeze it and let the expansion pop the dents out. Interesting idea but I'd be afraid the expansion would split the tank since the pressure would be equal all the way around.

Anybody else seen this tried? A little more convincing and perhaps a few adult beverages and I've got a great candidate to try it on.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,495 Posts
J-T said:
roundman72 said:
i have never done it but i have heard that you can fill and freeze it to pop out big ones
Sounds like you're saying you can fill the tank with water then freeze it and let the expansion pop the dents out. Interesting idea but I'd be afraid the expansion would split the tank since the pressure would be equal all the way around.

Anybody else seen this tried? A little more convincing and perhaps a few adult beverages and I've got a great candidate to try it on.
No, the technique is to spray the afflicted area with some of that real cold spray stuff in a can, I think it's for cleaning cameras or electronics or something - I saw some YouTube videos about it, try searching there under "body repair" or something.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
10,203 Posts
Rats. Now I need a new reason for those adult beverages.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
134 Posts
i have also heard of dry ice but if you get the liquid nitrogen that would really get it cold. when i repaired vcr's we used to have this stuff for testing bad solder joints and componets and it would spot freeze down to -60 degrees. and yes i was referring to filling with water and freezing but what bill is talking about is for smaller dent they freeze the spot and it pops out. i have not done this either but have read about it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
325 Posts
You could take it to a hail dent shop and see if they can do anything with it. It's likely heavier steel than they are used to working with though.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,386 Posts
dlslick said:
I am repainting a tank for my CB450 and have a few dents that I would like to bring out some before I start with the bondo. ...
I tried one of those "kits" and I wouldn't waste my money again. The dents in my 450 tank small and not very deep and it didn't help at all.
 
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Top