Honda Twins banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I have noticed that a few people on this forum and elsewhere have run the fuel line, between the two balance outlets either side of the tank, over the top of the frame and round the front of the seat. Usually it runs underneath the frame. This allows you to remove the tank by turning the petcock off and removing the two fuel lines running to the carbs, without having to disconnect the balance pipe. This is really handy as usually disconnecting the fuel line is messy at best, and trying to re-connect it can be very fiddly. My question is however, surely the balance pipe is their to allow fuel to get to both sides of the tank easily. Running it over the top of the frame must mean that the fuel remains isolated on each side of the tank, which can't be good?

Cheers

Mal

·
Banned
854 Posts
You are correct. You can install a quick connect auto shutoff in the tube.

Reactions: J-T

·
Registered
73 Posts
You are correct. You can install a quick connect auto shutoff in the tube.
Could you more specific? What type of "auto shutoff" and where would we find one. Wouldn't you need one for each side of the crossover tube?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi

Bought and installed the auto shut off. It will certainly make it easier to get the tank on and off.

·
Registered
554 Posts
References with links newer than 2 years old would more helpful.

https://www.motionpro.com/product/12-0037
Half the value of HT sometimes is the brains of the old sages on here who know what questions have been well answered in the past, and can point you to them. These bikes are 40+ years old. The answers haven’t changed in the 2 years since they were posted.

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
References with links newer than 2 years old would more helpful.

https://www.motionpro.com/product/12-0037
Half the value of HT sometimes is the brains of the old sages on here who know what questions have been well answered in the past, and can point you to them. These bikes are 40+ years old. The answers haven’t changed in the 2 years since they were posted.
and I would add that pointing someone in the right direction should be appreciated. since you did find something newer, it obviously helped. and since you brought it up, be sure that all those here you help get the latest information as well

·
Registered
99 Posts
Just cruising the posts and came accross this item. Yes, the tank crossover is a pain, blanking the outlets is one option, having fuel spill over you and the engine another when removing. (The crossover sits lower than the fuel tap outlet).
I did this back in 1969, I've just done it in 2019!
I use two short lengths of fuel pipe from each crossover outlet to a T piece. One long pipe connects to the outlet, I cut it long enough to clear the engine block. Then a suitable plug with clip for security. This way when removing the tank the plug is removed, petrol drained into a suitable container and the tank can then be easily removed.
As I am dealing with older tanks it makes cleaning them through so much easier and, as a sort of bonus, the pipe seems to collect bits of debris as well.

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
I just turn the fuel off at the petcock, pull the fuel line off the carb, place a 5 gallon gas can with the hose sticking into the spout. The gas can is set on two 1 gallon paint cans. Then turn the petcock on reserve and go get the tools out. By the time I'm ready to start working the bike is drained and I keep $35 in my pocket. In a pinch I have just pulled the fuel line off, held a finger on the pipe and lifted the back of the tank. Unless the gas tank is topped off the gas will slosh forward in the tank and then I replace the hose on the crossover. This is a solution for a non-problem.

·
Premium Member
3,002 Posts
After draining the tank - it may seem simple but just lay the bike over on it's side GENTLY. All the fuel will run to one side.

Then simply cap off both sides of the corss over with a short piece of tube plugged by a short bolt.

It's not like these bikes are all that heavy to get back upright.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts