Honda Twins banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Read Only
1 Posts
After checking all of the above, remove the cross over hose and check that fuel flows from BOTH sides, my tank had a blockage on one side for some reason. had to use some flexible wire to push through the pipe to clear it. The rest of the tank was like new!

·
Administrator
13,089 Posts
After checking all of the above, remove the cross over hose and check that fuel flows from BOTH sides, my tank had a blockage on one side for some reason. had to use some flexible wire to push through the pipe to clear it. The rest of the tank was like new!
Since this is your first post here, take a look at the link below and check your Conversations

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #23 (Edited)
Quick update: thought I would try a phased approach so I swapped out the gas cap for an OEM replacement and have a petcock rebuild kit coming and will then clean out and install a new fuel strainer. AND check the crossover line though it looks new as the fuel lines. If that doesn’t solve the issue I'll move on to the Carb fuel lines/fuel filters.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Question- is thread sealant / lock required when screwing the petcock back onto the fuel tank? If so any brand recommendation?

·
Administrator
13,089 Posts
Nothing but clean surfaces is necessary with the petcock, the only time they come loose unexpectedly is when they weren't properly installed and tightened correctly

·
Premium Member
2,004 Posts
The reserve drilling in the tap could be blocked with sediment, it's pretty common problem

·
Premium Member
2,004 Posts
I have a ‘69 CB350 and ‘65 Bomber and have run into the same problem on many old Honda’s. Do the following: If you’ve never removed your petcock to check it, the reserve inlet pipe inside the tank can deteriorate and snap off or develop rust holes and leak sediment and build up in the reserve channel inside the petcock blocking fuel from getting to the carbs when the gas drops below the main petcock level in the tank. This effectively eliminates your use of the reserve level of gas, that’s why your bike starts running bad after your over a 1.5 gallons into your ride - your running out of gas! This is easy to
Check, just disconnect your fuel lines and see if gas is flowing in the “on” position, and then the reserve position. If your reserve has no gas coming out of it, it is clogged and you need to remove the petcock and clean it with carb cleaner and blow air through it until it flows freely like the main position.
Should have read replies before posting :LOL:

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Thought I would provide an update- so far just swapped out the gas cap / vent
and currently have 72 miles on this tank full. After I run it to reserve I’ll rebuild the petcock. So looks like in the end - no need to drop the fuel filters....so far

21 - 29 of 29 Posts