Honda Twins banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I completed a full upper end rebuild, and thought the bike was running well, but a bit underpowered. Bike starts right up. Then I quickly realized that the right exhaust was not getting warm. Checked spark, which was good. Checked and rechecked right carb, and freed up a sticking carb slide and thought I might have it fixed. But on starting with the air cleaner off, I now see fuel mist coming back from right carb. If I accelerate only right carb, all I hear is a whoffing noise. If I stick my finger in to lift the slide, the bike doesn't care, so it is not drawing air. If I do that on the left side, the bike immediately dies from loss of airflow. All engine acceleration comes from the left side. So any ideas on what I did wrong? Incorrect intake valve timing? Thoughts? Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
3,113 Posts
Is the right side spark plug dry or wet? Valves adjusted correctly? Did you check for spark on the right side? Did you try squirting a little gas into the carb throat,while it's running, to see if it picks up any rpm?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is the right side spark plug dry or wet? Valves adjusted correctly? Did you check for spark on the right side? Did you try squirting a little gas into the carb throat,while it's running, to see if it picks up any rpm?
Sorry, not sure what Wet or dry spark refers to, but I have spark on the right side. The engine is not drawing fuel mix into the right cylinder. Thought I had the intake valves properly adjusted (was pretty sure that everything was running fine right after the rebuild, but then something changed rather suddenly and I started having this low power issue which i traced to a non-firing right side), but I have to guess that something as changed on that side and the intake valves are closed or even open on the exhaust stroke to be pushing fuel back out of the carb?

·
Registered
3,113 Posts
Unscrew the spark plug and see if it is dry or wet with gas.

·
Premium Member
10,203 Posts
After running the bike, remove the right side spark plug to determine whether it's wet or dry.

Check your valve adjustment, particularly the right side intake. Something may have moved/changed there.

·
Registered
2,561 Posts
I think a compression test is in order. If the valves are set correctly, especially the intake valve on that side, you may have a problem with them.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Had the EXACT same issue with the T a year ago, even down to the blowback. The "fish gasping for air" sound you are hearing is your plug failing to ignite the mix. Sure you're getting a good spark in there? Sure you're getting gas in there? Check your float, clean your carb, polish your slide! Run the engine with your plug out and grounded to the engine.

Wish I could remember what the final solution was for me. Good luck!

·
Premium Member
3,006 Posts
It is not unusal to have a plug that shows spark outside of the motor but will not fire under compression.

Try a NEW Plug they are too cheap not to.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Good morning,
Yendor nailed it! I reset the intake valve and rechecked everything on the carb. And just for grins, I switched plugs. The bike started right up, but now running on the Right side!! Why didn't I try this first??

So now I have to get the jetting squared away, so will post over in the Carb forum. Bike idles great, but is popping and surging on acceleration. I moved up from 130 to 150 main jets to compensate for the Uniflow air cleaners (thought it was running lean before), and now not sure if I went too far or not far enough!
Thanks again.

·
Premium Member
10,203 Posts
Probably too far. I would have tried 135, but...........................

Warm the bike up. Adjust the idle mixtures. Put in new plugs. Ride for 5 minutes (some suggest as little as 2 minutes) at highway speed, then pull the clutch lever and hit the kill switch (do a plug chop) and coast to a stop. Read the plugs.

The same can be done at low/mid throttle setting to check the slow jets.

****Legal disclaimer: do this in the middle of a 5 lane road with no other vehicles within at least 5 miles****

1 - 11 of 11 Posts