Honda Twins banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 1973 CB175 has an issue where it runs fine for about 3/4 mile then starts to stall. Ive only had it for a few weeks and it’s been doing this since I’ve had it. I’ve cleaned the carbs and and set the floats At 21mm. If I let the fuel run for a minute and then pull the carb bowls, the fuel is about one half inch from the top which seems about right. I’ve ve adjusted the valves and set the timing but I still think its a fuel issue. After I pull over and wait 30 seconds, it runs fine for a while and starts to stall again. The fuel cap is venting okay. I’ve tried running it without the fuel cap with the same results. It had fuel filters but I removed them as the tank is spotless. I installed new fuel lines. As I was pulling the tank the other day, I was draining the fuel Into a can and noticed only the left side of the petcock was draining fuel. If I stopped the left side up then the right side started draining. Then if I stop up the right side, the left starts flowing again. I had previously removed and cleaned the petcock and blew it out with compressed air and everything seemed fine. Could I have damaged something? Is this normal? I’ve also replaced the battery and the rectifier and cleaned all the wiring connections. Thanks for any advice.

·
Registered
353 Posts
You could turn the petcock off as soon as it dies. Then check carbs for fuel.

Sent from my SM-J320V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
My petcock does the same thing. I haven't tried to run it because I am waiting on the tank too come back. I just picked up the bike and it hasn't run in a while. Its the first bike I have tried to build so wasn't sure if this was normal and therefor ordered the petcock rebuild kit. I hope someone can say if this is normal.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Hello, check fuel filter mesh in the petcock. Fuel flow may be restricted below requrd limits. Usually, while draining one pipe is working as a vent. This is normal.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hello, check fuel filter mesh in the petcock. Fuel flow may be restricted below requrd limits. Usually, while draining one pipe is working as a vent. This is normal.
It seems okay. I’ve ordered a new OE petcock.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts