Honda Twins banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ordred a fuel petcock rebuild kit for my 74' CB 450 K7, should get it tomorrow. The fuel lines that are on this bike are a 1/4" black rubber generic fuel line which seem to work okay but a little loose at the carb. ends.

So my question is, what size fuel line did Honda use originally ? I have some clear fuel line that is 6mm I.D. I could probably use this but seems to me that these clear fuel lines always seem to harden with age ?

Also the stock petcock was really clogged on the reserve side but have cleaned thoroughly. Would you guys recommend in-line external filters ?

·
Premium Member
10,203 Posts
The fuel line is 5.5mm, just a tad smaller than 1/4".

If you have the screen on the petcock that's all you should need for a filter though many folks do use them. Some filters can restrict fuel flow, especially as the fuel level in the tank approaches empty.

·
Registered
2,561 Posts
Also the stock petcock was really clogged on the reserve side but have cleaned thoroughly. Would you guys recommend in-line external filters ?
Anything heavier than fuel should settle in the bowl of the petcock, along with any water. I check mine whenever I think of it, usually a couple times per season.

·
Registered
539 Posts
The clear stuff does tend to harden over time, your best bet is the 5.5mm stock Honda stuff. if you MUST use something else, use 3/16".

Some ppl use the in-line filters, I don't see a use for them myself so long as you have a good screen or in-tank sock-type filter.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Is this Honda 5.5 mm I.D. fuel line also the same line that is used on the backside under the tank to connect the tank halves together ?

·
Premium Member
2,838 Posts
The line is still available. I do use inline filters. Some members have complained about them but I have had no problems.

·
Registered
288 Posts
I ordred a fuel petcock rebuild kit for my 74' CB 450 K7, should get it tomorrow. The fuel lines that are on this bike are a 1/4" black rubber generic fuel line which seem to work okay but a little loose at the carb. ends.

So my question is, what size fuel line did Honda use originally ? I have some clear fuel line that is 6mm I.D. I could probably use this but seems to me that these clear fuel lines always seem to harden with age ?

First thing is to clean that tank thoroughly. Otherwise you'll just keep chasing a dirty petcock and carbs.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts