Honda Twins banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not really sure if this is where this belongs, but does anyone have any pics of a clean inline fuel filter setup on their twin? I'm thinking I'll need some for my 450 to keep the rust in my tank from getting into the carbs.

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
Why not remove the rust problem all together first?? If necessary you can go to a local motorcycle shop or hardware store and look for 90degree filters. They fit the cleanest.. I've seen them at my local Honda shop.

GB :mrgreen:

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I do plan on shaking as much rust out as I can, but it doesn' seem as though I'll be able to get it all. Maybe I'll surprise myself! What kins of hardware have you had the best luck with? And wjat dod you use to seal the filler opening with while shaking? The vented cap leaks...imagine that. :(

·
Premium Member
771 Posts
Shaking is good, but as long as the tank is off, I'd go the vinegar cleaning route. Works perfectly, and it's cheeeep and easy.

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=1376&hilit=vinegar

For inline filters, I've always had good luck with the little cone-shaped clear filters with the small brass-looking stone thingy. I've never had a problem and they're usually short enough that they can be spliced unobtrusively into any fuel line routing. Some, though, have reported flow restrictions on bigger bikes (750+) over on the Suzuki forum I participate on.

Good luck.

Kirk

·
Registered
75 Posts
To keep the gas cap from leaking during 'shaky' episodes, you should be able to hand make a gasket out of any old inner tube that you have lying around. You do keep an old inner tube around, don't you :lol:

Cut it a bit larger than the opening. It will or should make a firm enough seal for. If not, remove the cap and duct tape the gasket and a block of wood on top of it across the opening.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
rufusswan said:
...If not, remove the cap and duct tape the gasket and a block of wood on top of it across the opening.
Ahh...good ol fashioned mallard tape. I should have thought of that!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts