Honda Twins banner

21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Premium Member
506 Posts

·
Super Moderator
9,292 Posts
^^^and I just learned of a station at a new Circle K store (not that near me, but near enough) where I can get ethanol-free 93 octane for the little red monster... and for the budget drag bike too, eventually

·
Registered
3,792 Posts
I sometimes buy AVGas (120 octane or so) from the local airports when get a chance.
It's a little more expensive at $5/gallon

Otherwise it's just 91 octane, sometimes with lead additive added.

I have never used anything in my oil though.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Where I am located, I can get 87 Octane that's ethanol free. I know the higher octane (91) is recommended, but when your only options are 87 (ethanol free) or 91 (with ethanol) which is the lesser of two evils? Oh and my bike is a 1975 CB200t.
Thanks!

·
Registered
3,792 Posts
Ethanol free is always better for these old bikes.
Will you notice a performance difference between non-eth 87 vs eth 91? Probably not.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Ethanol free is a bit harder to find where I am in Southeast PA, but we do have the nice advantage of readily available 93 octane (with ethanol ) at most Shell and Sunoco stations in the area. That is what I typically run in the 350. I have experimented with a few fuel additives, namely octane boosters and lead substitutes, but any real world differences in performance or mpgs have so far been negligible. So, as it is, I just run the 93 with a bit of StaBil and call it good. Might try to switch to SeaFoam (have used it previously in my cars, both gas and diesel) based on some of the reviews here, and see how that goes.

As for oil, I always run Rotella in both my bike and my old diesel Mercedes, at the manufacturer specified viscosity. Never had any issues with it. Used to be a die-hard Mobil1 oil guy in my E36 BMW and KTM supermoto days, but I think Rotella is just as good if not better for these older engines.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
309 Posts
Forgot to add, if you live in an area where there are Wawa convenience stores/gas stations.... *DO NOT GET GAS THERE!*

I have confirmed by speaking with people who work for Wawa, that they sell inferior gas and readily admit to diluting it down in the name of profit margins.

Great convenience stores, horrible gasoline.

You have been warned.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Ethanol free is always better for these old bikes.
Will you notice a performance difference between non-eth 87 vs eth 91? Probably not.
Good to know, I figured that would be the case. I'm not really concerned with the performance so much as giving the old bike what's best for it. I have been running the 87 ethanol free w/ 1oz per gal of SeaFoam additive. I live in the middle of KNOWHERE in a tiny town near Mineral Wells, Texas and the one gas station in our town (which is the only business in our town) happens to have the ethanol free, so I feel like I really lucked out there! Thanks for the advise!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Ethanol free is a bit harder to find where I am in Southeast PA, but we do have the nice advantage of readily available 93 octane (with ethanol ) at most Shell and Sunoco stations in the area. That is what I typically run in the 350. I have experimented with a few fuel additives, namely octane boosters and lead substitutes, but any real world differences in performance or mpgs have so far been negligible. So, as it is, I just run the 93 with a bit of StaBil and call it good. Might try to switch to SeaFoam (have used it previously in my cars, both gas and diesel) based on some of the reviews here, and see how that goes.

As for oil, I always run Rotella in both my bike and my old diesel Mercedes, at the manufacturer specified viscosity. Never had any issues with it. Used to be a die-hard Mobil1 oil guy in my E36 BMW and KTM supermoto days, but I think Rotella is just as good if not better for these older engines.

Thanks to the recommendations on here, I have also been running the Rotella Large Diesel Oil as well. I used the Pure Gas app that they mentioned above (for finding gas stations with ethanol free gas), and there were actually several other towns on their map that were within riding distance of me. You might give that a try if you haven't already. I just searched South East Penn. and there seems to be a lot of locations listed, though I'm not sure if there are any super close to your exact location.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Thanks to the recommendations on here, I have also been running the Rotella Large Diesel Oil as well. I used the Pure Gas app that they mentioned above (for finding gas stations with ethanol free gas), and there were actually several other towns on their map that were within riding distance of me. You might give that a try if you haven't already. I just searched South East Penn. and there seems to be a lot of locations listed, though I'm not sure if there are any super close to your exact location.
Punching my zip code into the app yielded only one result, and it happens to be a Sunoco right down the road from my house, just not the one that I usually frequent. Go figure. I guess I'll have to check it out next weekend when I'm back in town. Good tip, thanks!

·
Super Moderator
9,292 Posts
Forgot to add, if you live in an area where there are Wawa convenience stores/gas stations.... *DO NOT GET GAS THERE!*

I have confirmed by speaking with people who work for Wawa, that they sell inferior gas and readily admit to diluting it down in the name of profit margins.

Great convenience stores, horrible gasoline.

You have been warned.

You may have had that experience where you are, but I can tell you with certainty that any of the Wawa stations near us that I've bought gas from for both my car and my wife's pickup have been no problem to date, and their price is always as cheap as pretty much anyone with the possible exception of Sam's Club. It could simply be that the management of the Wawa in your area is bending the rules... but that would never happen in America - would it? :D

·
Registered
309 Posts
You may have had that experience where you are, but I can tell you with certainty that any of the Wawa stations near us that I've bought gas from for both my car and my wife's pickup have been no problem to date, and their price is always as cheap as pretty much anyone with the possible exception of Sam's Club. It could simply be that the management of the Wawa in your area is bending the rules... but that would never happen in America - would it? :D
Bending the rules in America? Not a chance!
You may also have the benefit of Wawa's being a somewhat new kid on the block in FL. I remember not too long ago they only existed in the Mid-Atlantic region, and even then, if you strayed too far south, all you could find were Sheetz stores. I think that Wawa management in tri-state region has become too fat and comfortable with their large share of the market, but that would never happen up the corporate ladder in America, would it?

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
The wife decided to get herself a Costco gas card. First tankful, it ran like crap and started missing at idle and turning the check engine on. 75 psi compression in one cylinder(burnt #5 exhaust valve), last time we bought gas there.

·
Registered
309 Posts
I'll stick with my top 3 brands at this point hahaha.
1. Shell
2. Sunoco
3. Valero (usually the cheapest prices for diesel also)

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
I have 3 stations within about 4 miles of the house that sell non-ethanol gas, two to the west and one to the east. One has 93, one has 91, and one has 87, so it's pretty easy to keep non-ethanol gas in my bikes. On longer rides that require gas stops, I'm usually stuck using E-10, though. I try to run most of it out on the way home and fill up with the good stuff before parking it, though.

IMG_5657.jpg

·
Registered
141 Posts
Some Hondas like the 350 twins required 91 octane for the high compression. Gas back then had lead to lube the valves. What about a lead substitute?

Sent from my SM-J320V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
66 Posts
9.5 to 1 is not considered high compression these days. However, the original CB250/350 Owners and service manuals call for 95 octane minimum. This is most likely a Research Octane Number (RON). US pump octane (Anti-Knock Index - AKI) ratings are 4 to 6 points below a RON rating. Therefore 87-89 octane (AKI) should be adequate. Since these old engines have no knock sensors and being air-cooled run hotter that modern engines, using 91 is the correct solution. As for fuel additives, every 5 tanks or so I will add a bit of Techron in the tank, particularly when I can't get "Top Tier" gas. Techron is actually a fuel injection cleaner but it helps keep the fuel passages, valves and combustion chambers clean in non-FI engines.

For lubrication, since it is a motorcycle, I use oil made for motorcycles, specifically Castrol Actevo https://www.castrol.com/en_cc/ccsa/products/motorcycles-and-scooters/engine-oils/actevo.html

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
Not getting crazy but I try to purchase gas from the same 3 spots on my usual riding routes. My w650 can run on 87 but like my 450, I just run 93 with sta-Bil and don’t ever let the tank get below half....served me well.

21 - 40 of 44 Posts