Honda Twins banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, do any of you use fuel and/or oil additives in your bikes? I do use 90 octane ethanol free gas, but Im hearing an additive might help. I have a 1972 CL175 scrambler. IMG_1468.jpg

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
welcome!
Our bikes came out before the major changes to gasoline so they are sensitive to these changes. When I owned my 450 I used 93 premium and always added Sta-Bil. My W650 can run on 87 but I maintain the habit of running 93 with Sta-bil. no issues on either bike.
The Honda carb passages are tiny and clog easily while the W has not required a carb cleaning 4,000 mi into my ownership. Previous owner maintained the same, but I attest this to the fact the 'Love Dub' is more modern. ha ha.
You don't need an oil additive for the Honda but I stress to change the oil every 800-1,000 mi. be on top of it! Lots of us run Rotella and have had success. I run it in my W.

cheers!

·
Premium Member
557 Posts
I use and prefer Seafoam to Stabil added to 87 octane ethanol free in my vintage Hondas. Seven years of following this I haven’t had fuel problems and my bikes can sometimes sit without use for months from time to time.

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
seafoam will work but generates more smoke when running. One of our gurus, sensei steve(sprint66) said seafoam can cause buildup on the jets...at least I think he said that. ha ha ha

·
Premium Member
557 Posts
seafoam will work but generates more smoke when running. One of our gurus, sensei steve(sprint66) said seafoam can cause buildup on the jets...at least I think he said that. ha ha ha
I have to say I have not experienced either of those issues with the regular use of Seafoam. I did experience problems in lawn equipment after several years of using Sta-bil which is what led me to make a switch. Perhaps Steve will come along and impart his wisdom upon this subject. I have not used mystery oil as an additive but I do like to use it for other things from time to time.

·
Registered
2,521 Posts
The main ingredient in Seafoam is naptha, a cleaning solvent. Some of the Goldwing guys swear by the use of ATF, a few ounces in each tankful, keeps the carbs clean and seems to slightly increase gas mileage & compression numbers.

·
Registered
473 Posts
ATF is good to pour down the throat of carbs on automobiles, used to do it all the time back when I drag raced.

Haven't tried it on my bikes, but seafoam is the stuff I use on a regular basis nowadays.

Works great in lawn equipment.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I use StarTron in all of my small engines. It really helps keep the fuel system clean. My wife has a 150 CC Chinese scooter that would not start after a week of inactivity, and would take a disassembly to fix it. I've been using Startron for about a year, and have not had any issues with it.
The link is below. It's kind of spendy, but i think its worth it.

Star Tron Enzyme Fuel Treatment

·
Registered
605 Posts
I use 2 Stroke Oil, TCW3 designation, in my bikes, carb and FI, and in my cars FI and GDI.

Works better than stabil etc in my experience and doesn't smoke or smell like some of the other products do which is especially true in our convertible more so than the bikes.

Couple ounces in a MC tank and all is good.

Fuel these days is very dry compared to years ago and ethanol is the worst thing for older vehicles .... newer ones too but that can be a touchy subject.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
I have found from experience it isn’t JUST the additive .. it’s the FUEL.. each state is different, additives, standards, cleanliness, and ethanol. Years ago my wife’s car was “knocking”.. did some research and multiple mechanics informed me to “go over the bridge and get some good gas.. see if it helps”.. South Carolina’s worst gas is better quality that Georgia’s best gas.. Didn’t help her car much, it was the mas airflow sensor..
Locally I use ethanol free with stabil.. I use it in all my small motors and will swear by it.. kinda hard to argue with leaving a riding mower out in the elements all winter, spring arrived, charged the battery and have it fire right up and idle with no issues!!

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
I did preface it with “years ago..”. I don’t think we even owned any motorcycles at the time..wow, come to think of it.. it was quite a few years ago..

·
Registered
3,447 Posts
Modern fuels are a PIA. I just got back from 1500 miles on the GL1200 in Eastern Oregon. Most of the gas stations sell 91 Octane Ethanol Free. The bike ran really good on it and got over 41 MPG. Sometimes we could only get E10 and the bike got around 36 MPG on it. Since we were did many mountain passes over 5,000 feet it was hard to tell the power differences between the two fuels, but the Ethanol free was nice to have. In this area the gas stations can be pretty far between and have that extra 20-25 miles range in the tank just added a little comfort. The owner's manual for my '72 450 says the bike can run on 87 Octane, but it will pre-ignition (ping) on 87 Octane E-10. We have a middle grade 89 Octane in our area and it runs fine on that. Again, 91 Octane Ethanol Free is available at a few places near me and the 450 runs great on it with an improved gas mileage. A list of Ethanol free gas stations for Canada and the US can be found at Pure Gas.

The oil situation is a little different. Hondas were designed to be sold world wide. At the time when they were new there was a lot of variation in motor oils around the world. One thing we all know is how bad modern friction reducing oils are for a wet clutch. Many opt for the JASCO graded MA motorcycle oils. This is a safe choice, but it does cost more money. Modern Diesel oils will work fine. Some use Shell Rotella or Chevron Delo at the specified viscosity. The main thing that has changed since our bikes were new was the elimination of Zinc and Phosphorus in the oils. These oil components help with startup lubrication and break in. They also reduce tappet wear. I don't use additives, although I probably should. Hemmings Daily has a great article on the subject.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts