Honda Twins banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
Does anybody know if these two tube diameters are the same across other VB series carbs independent of bike model? Specifically wondering if the Oring sizes found on the early '80s CX/GL500 carburetors (VB34 I think) are the same size as used on my VB24.
As an aside to that, perhaps someone knows the oring sizes for my vb24?
I will be replacing the seals on my carbs and looking at putting together individual parts to hopefully obtain best quality without unnecessary brass items.
Thanks Pete

·
Premium Member
24,208 Posts
The crossover tubes are the same as the VB22 carbs, I don't have any O-rings handy to measure. Possibly someone rebuilding their carbs can measure them

·
Premium Member
10,203 Posts
Why not just get the original Honda gasket kit?

[h=2]16010-413-405[/h]
Everything you need in the way of soft parts is there.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Long Distance Rider,
Thanks for the info on the diameters being the same, that's what I was hoping.
JT,
The part number for the Honda soft parts kit found on certain "main websites" (not sure if I can name them or not) always comes up as not available? Would you happen to know the Honda part # of the kit I need?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
JT, appreciate that information! For some reason it doesn't list my '81 automatic as a compatible bike so i see how I wasn't able to find the Honda made kits! I've found that the bike compatibility info that some websites lists isn't always complete. No big suprise there!
I was in the process of researching if the Randakk kit for the cx500/gl500 kit "B" with all the viton gaskets would fit. Apart from the manifold O'rings it seems like it would. Only needed to check on the idle jet plug size.

·
Premium Member
10,203 Posts
My bad, used the manual trans part number. Auto part number is:

16010-448-305

Not sure why the A-model part number doesn't link to a superseding part number but, all the 3 jet VB carbs use the same gaskets and o-rings etc. (including the ones on my GL500) so the part number I gave you should have what you need. Jim likely knows what the difference would be.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think that manual trans part # would probably work too. But this 16010-448-301 is what's showing as unavailable. I'm tempted to get the Viton kit, as I want the carbs to stay on the bike as long as possible, for the sake of not damaging the carb mounts to the engine. Mine are in fine shape for now. Testing out the oil of wintergreen trick for renewing the rubber.
About that white plastic ring and black plastic crescent shaped piece (sorry don't know what they are called) Included in the Honda kits, but nowhere else - how critical is it to replace these?
Also my bike is completely stock. Is it recommended to change jets to correct a factory overly lean condition at all?
I've read through the VB rebuild sticky several times already. Great info.

·
Premium Member
10,203 Posts
Unless they are damaged I wouldn't worry too much about changing those 2 parts.

The bigger reason to go with the Honda kits is fit and quality. The biggest fit issue is the float valves (needles). Aftermarket needles are often not the proper length which becomes rather critical when the floats are not adjustable (I missed which year your bike is but most of them are not adjustable). For that particular part it's well worth it to go with Honda originals.

·
Premium Member
24,208 Posts
Change the Primary main jet up one size, IE; 70 to 72 or 72 to 75. Leave the secondary stock.
As for the kits I don't know why there's a different part number for the A models. To the best of my knowledge there is no difference in the since almost everything is interchangeable like the float bowls, piston tops/covers. Pistons are different.
The black plastic piece can be sanded flat to seal so replacement isn't required. The White stop rings can be reused probably forever. The difference between the VB21 and 22 kits is the inclusion of the accel pump circuit O-rings.
I would suggest running a search once a month or so for new carb insulators, they appear every once in awhile, so you have a set when needed.

·
Registered
805 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts