Honda Twins banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, yesterday this bike ran for 3o minutes very well. Not perfectly (A few 'coughs' and uneven idle) but I was quite pleased. Today, it won't even start. I can't see what the difference is. I know I need a new battery, but I had it hooked up to a charger. I'm not sure I have a question to ask... Just venting a bit.

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
seanmalcolmson said:
Okay, yesterday this bike ran for 3o minutes very well. Not perfectly (A few 'coughs' and uneven idle) but I was quite pleased. Today, it won't even start. I can't see what the difference is. I know I need a new battery, but I had it hooked up to a charger. I'm not sure I have a question to ask... Just venting a bit.

Try some new plugs......

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I put in new plugs. I have changed oil. I drained the gas tank and put in new gas. I have cleaned the carbs. I found that the choke was broken, but I can fiddle with the cable for now, until I can put in a new one. I'm going to go through ypur list more carefully and check with my manuals about troubleshooting.

·
Sensei
27,180 Posts
New plugs since it failed to start?...or beforehand?.... Choke problems can easily foul the plugs..even "new" ones, and NGK's are junk after fouling....

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
66Sprint said:
New plugs since it failed to start?...or beforehand?.... Choke problems can easily foul the plugs..even "new" ones, and NGK's are junk after fouling....
+1 to that, Steve.
Only takes a minute to turn 'em black.
It's worth checking........

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks. I took out the plugs and they were wet. I dried them but still no spark. I checked the plug chart that has been posted and the plugs look like they should be in the good range (They are NGK). Now, I have a choke problem and I have been pulling the cable manually. It worked the other day, but I think the yanking hasn't helped. Also, my battery is bad. I keep recharging it, but it needs to be replaced. However, it ran fine the other day after the plug changes, 'manual' choking and the battery recharged.

The next day nothing. No spark at all. Going through my troubleshooting chapters, I think I havesome sort of ignition problem. A short maybe. I'll need to have my FIL come over with his testers and we'll have a fun time of 'check that wire'.

I guess I'll replace the plugs again, as well, just to be sure. What brand do people recommend. I bought NGK because it was what was in the bike when I bought it. Also, I put in a plug that is a '9', again because that was what was alreading in the bike. My Clymer tells me that the colder temperatures require a higher number. Is this the best selection for my bike? Temperature ranges here run from 0 C to 18 C (30 F to 60 - 65 F) this time of year.

As always, thanks for the information.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
BTW, Bill, I love that ying yang icon you have on your posts.

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
Replace the plugs, don't "dry" them..... NGK is the best for our bikes (that's the conventional wisdom).
Honda manual calls for D8EA - a D9 would be a colder plug, not hotter (I think).
That's probably why your bike won't start, nasty plugs.

Weak battery could cause plug fouling.
So could choke problems.
So could poor compression - Honda manual calls for 185 psi, +-14 psi.

·
Sensei
27,180 Posts
I believe Bill is correct about bigger number=colder plug on the NGK's.....
AND, you didn't "Accidently" forget to turn the kill switch back to "run" did you?.....
The bike has a CDI ignition and should be getting very good spark.....But I still don't think it will run with a weak battery....

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I had the plugs out. I couldn't get the the store to buy new plugs. Plus, being a cheapskate, I hate the idea of replacing plugs the were only running once! So, I used my rotary tool to 'clean' them up. No good.

So, the way I see it, I will replace the battery, get a new choke cable assembly and new plugs. Once that is all together, hopefully I can get it going again. Might have to wait until payday, however.

I'm going to go to the bike shop and see if I can borrow or rent a compression tester. Just to be sure.

Sean

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
seanmalcolmson said:
I had the plugs out. I couldn't get the the store to buy new plugs. Plus, being a cheapskate, I hate the idea of replacing plugs the were only running once! So, I used my rotary tool to 'clean' them up. No good.

So, the way I see it, I will replace the battery, get a new choke cable assembly and new plugs. Once that is all together, hopefully I can get it going again. Might have to wait until payday, however.

I'm going to go to the bike shop and see if I can borrow or rent a compression tester. Just to be sure.

Sean
Might as well get a box of plugs, sounds like you'll be needing them.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I know this is an older thread, but you guys are right on the money about the NGK plugs. The higher the number, the colder it gets. Low number = HOT.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts