Honda Twins banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I am looking for some guidance before I go for a purchase.

I am starting to get my CB360 back to a stock-ish configuration, and in the process, managed to get a pretty good looking pair of CB360 turn signals (front and rear) for not a lot of money. The problem that I found out today was that the CB360 turn signal stalk threads are way too large of a diameter to pass through the CB450 headlight ear turn signal holes on my bike! I guess that the stalks not universal across CBs?

I know David Silver Spares has some OEM Honda ones, but they are rather expensive. I also took a look at 4into1 at what they have to offer.

Just eyeballing it, these cheaper 4into1 stalks look exactly like the CB360 ones... Can someone confirm that the Threading Size of these turn signal stalks M10 (10mm x 1.25mm) will fit the CB450 headlight ears?

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
CB450 T/S posts are 10mm. The 360 was a change in the headlight and turn signal mounting. Pretty much all of the 69-74 CB/CL turn signal stems that mount the headlights are interchangeable. The 100mm stems stick out a ways. I found a repo set for a CB175 that were about 50mm. That tucks the T/S a lot closer to the headlight. It gives a cleaner look with sports handlebars.

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
Depends on the K of the 450........
Steve is right, turn signals were an option on early Bombers... These are the 50mm stems with CB400F bars.

Jim's CB450.jpg

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
Steve, I believe I have a CB450K4 front end.
Nice bike, I have a soft spot for the Red CB360T. I bought one new from the Navy Exchange in 1975. That might be a CB350 front end. the 450 fork tubes are 35mm and the 350 fork tubes are 33mm. The brake rotor looks different than my 450K5.

·
Sensei
27,171 Posts
Nope...40 spoke 450, 500/4, 550/4, or 750 19" wheel....
Smaller rotor (center probably just painted or un-painted to silver)...
All consistent with the slightly taller 450 or 500/4 forks.....

I imagine without that mat and level ground it's a side-stand only bike.......;):p

·
Premium Member
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quite the abomination, isn't it? Yes on level ground the centerstand is definitely usable. On anything but...yeah sidestand only :grin:

I am going to pop into a hardware store to confirm the thread size of my existing aftermarket turn signals that DO fit.

·
Premium Member
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
OK so I spent some time digging through the shelves at ACE Hardware and here is what I found out:
- Aftermarket turn signal stem thread (the ones currently on the CB450 headlight ear holes): M10 with 1.25 fine pitch (Looks like the 4into1's are good to go!)
- CB360 turn signal stem thread: M12 with 1.5 or 1.25 pitch (ACE hardware did not have any nuts less than 1.75 to test)

I am going to go ahead and order the 100mm or 65mm stalks from 4into1.

·
Premium Member
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
100mm looks a bit too goofy with my Renthal bars. I went with 65mm stalks.

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
Keep them in tight, or take them off completely - that's how I've always felt. I remember when the SOHC CB750, maybe K2 or 3, changed them to a length so long in the front they looked like outriggers

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
Keep them in tight, or take them off completely - that's how I've always felt. I remember when the SOHC CB750, maybe K2 or 3, changed them to a length so long in the front they looked like outriggers
Tom, I think at one point in time DOT required separation between left and right for motorcycle front and rear turn signals. This was changed again in the 80s when the auto manufacturers challenged lighting requirements. THX to Uncle Sam.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts