Honda Twins banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys (and gals), so I think that I want to change out the front sprocket on my 1980 CM200T from the stock 15T to either a 16 or 17. From what I have read, this will decrease zippiness, but allow for more comfy 50-60 MPH cruising RPMs. I have tried tirelessly to find answers to these questions so please bare with me. It seems a 16T will fit, but will a 17T? Also, Does going up to either of these mean I will have to change the chain? Theoretically, it should decrease RPMs at higher speeds, but I cannot find any anecdotal evidence of this so I would love to hear from anyone that has done this to a CM200 or any other bike and what their experience was like. Thanks!

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
I wouldn't go up more than one tooth on the front. With that, your regular chain should still fit. A 17 tooth sprocket is too much of a good thing - with a small engine like that, you would really have to slip the clutch to get going, and your top speed would probably decrease in top gear due to the engine not being able to pull gearing that high. I went up one tooth on my 350 and that was plenty.

·
Registered
9,797 Posts
As 83 said, I also agree that you won't have the torque or HP to pull a 17 tooth.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Some folks have actually gone the other way in gearing to allow the engine to 'run out' better.
That said, the 15-16 swap is what I am considering also, but to stretch 3rd gear further on the windy country roads. Same effect as you describe for cruising, but more knocking it down to 3rd will be needed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 7 of 7 Posts