Honda Twins banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I just purchased a 75 CL360 with a pretty severe oil leak form behind the front sprocket.
I started the bike and watched it run out of the seal (sprocket removed)
couple questions:
1. Tips on removing seal with-out damaging surfaces.
2. Can I replace this seal with out removing the engine or splitting the cases?
3. Purchased seal kit form "4into1" not Honda OEM!
4. Anybody live near Atascadero, CA. that has experience with this type of problem-tools- knowledge!
I could sure use some help here, I dont have the ability to remove engine and / or split cases!
Oh and is this shaft called "Output Shaft" "Counter Balance Shaft" or what?
Thanks in advance!
Sohcphreek!

·
Registered
555 Posts
Yeesh.

1) With a little coaxing, the seal should come out without tools - generally you want to put a coat of Hondabond/Threebond on them when installing, but it peels out easily once you split the cases. Brake cleaner on a rag should take off whatever residue is left on the sealing surface. If the case itself is marred, that's a different problem.

2) Bad news - you do have to remove the engine and split the cases to replace that seal. It's item 26 on this diagram: https://images.cmsnl.com/img/partsl...5-k1-usa-transmission_bighu0232e0002_0251.gif
If you look closely, you can see the little locator tab that gets fitted between the cases to hold it in place. That said, the process isn't as bad as you might think. If you have basic hand tools, a garage, a milk crate, and a friend to help you lift it out, you can do it. The cases can be split without disassembling the top end.

3) I've had good luck with 4into1's aftermarket oil seals. YMMV, just make sure that you clean any residue off and apply a thin layer of HB or TB to the entire outer surface of the seal. It makes sense to replace as many of the seals as you can get your hands on while you're in there - most DO come out without splitting whatever it is that they come out of.

CMSNL seems to like it as the "Countershaft" - either way, it's one of the two shafts in your transmission, the other being the "Mainshaft".

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
OK,
Thats not what I was hoping for but your thorough response is exactly what I needed!
I am not confident in eng. removal and splitting eng cases!! I just dont think I will ever get it
back together and running. So disapointed, this bike is really beautiful and original 10,000 miles.
Still has orig. chain and sprockets etc...
Thanks sohcphreek!

·
Registered
555 Posts
For sure! After that long, you'll want to change the original chain...and best to do sprockets at the same time. That said, there are a lot of great threads on here of people who took the leap and did a full rebuild (myself included) for the first time and it worked out, so I wouldn't be too worried about splitting the cases - it's much less intensive than a full top end rebuild. The head, cylinders, pistons, etc will all stay intact. We can help walk you through it, and the FSM for the 360 is very detailed.

It doesn't sound to me like something that absolutely has to be fixed, just keep an eye on your oil level and make sure you don't run it dry.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
UPDATE:
I got the old seal out by making a puller, I dont see any reason for leaking right around the shaft and the inside of the seal.
Im hoping to just clean up the cases, align the tab and oil holes, and hit it into place, hoping the tab will spring into place.
If not i will buy another $30. seal and try again! (def. of insanity). I got a Seal Seating kit to guide it in w/o damage and im thinking
a little dab of Dawn dish soap.
Hope to install today!
Shocphreek

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
All done and set overnite with zero leaks! It can be done W/O splitting cases!
Now reinstall an grease clutch arm assembly and chain / sprocket assy.
S

·
Registered
1 Posts
All done and set overnite with zero leaks! It can be done W/O splitting cases!
Now reinstall an grease clutch arm assembly and chain / sprocket assy.
S
Having same issue. Don't want to split cases either! Can you please share more details about how you pulled this off?? Please!!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts