Honda Twins banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to replace the oil seal behind the fromt sprocket. My Clymer does not see to explain how to remove it. It has an adjuster screw, nut and locking tab washer!!

Help please. Do you have to remove the thin nut? Reverse thread?

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
That's the chain oiler thing that Honda put on K3/K4.

Bend back the little tabs on the lock washer and the big nut (19mm I think) can be unscrewed from the countershaft end.
A couple of little parts in there, so don't lose them.

Then the sprocket bolts can come off.....

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Standard thread? Seems to be on there pretty good! Why is adjustable?

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
1971 CB450 said:
Standard thread? Seems to be on there pretty good! Why is adjustable?

Take a look at the fiche - the little screwdriver adjustment (#6) in the center of the big nut (#5) squashes a rubber thingy (#8) inside the countershaft, regulating the amount of oil that leaks out onto the chain.
That's the theory - the reality is that all it ever did was make a huge mess, generating so many complaints that Honda dropped it K5-K7.
A lot of us just pull it all outa there and plug the end of the countershaft with silicon - I can lube my own chain, thanks Mr. Honda.....

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I gave up on the oiler nut today. Hit it with WD40 and will try it again in the near future. I replaced the clutch rod and shifter seals and added a little black gasket maker around the edge to hold them in. That should take care of most of the leaking oil. The shifter seal actually worked it's way out before and the clutch seal was out a little also.

I will get that oil thing out and fill the shaft with silicone at some point.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts