Honda Twins banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
have a 79 cm 400T and are rebuilding the front shocks, can i just put a regular cap on top... and still have a working shock....cant seem to keep air in it

·
Registered
804 Posts
The shocks on there must be from a later bike if yours is a 79, I'm pretty sure they only did air assisted forks from 1981 onward.
You could try putting them together as is and see if the front end feels good enough for your liking.

Found this thread too

·
Super Moderator
24,208 Posts
1979 did not have air assist forks. Those appeared in 1981.
Air assist fork cap threads are different for the non-assist ones.
Loss of air pressure could be the O-rings on the caps, the fittings or the hose. If the fork oil is too low it can escape from the fork seals but typically it pushed oil out if the level is correct.
Note that the system has a maximum pressure of 1 Bar or 14 psi.
I would top off the air and use the basic gas line leak check of spraying soapy water on all the pieces. The leak will make soap bubbles.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
1979 did not have air assist forks. Those appeared in 1981.
Air assist fork cap threads are different for the non-assist ones.
Loss of air pressure could be the O-rings on the caps, the fittings or the hose. If the fork oil is too low it can escape from the fork seals but typically it pushed oil out if the level is correct.
Note that the system has a maximum pressure of 1 Bar or 14 psi.
I would top off the air and use the basic gas line leak check of spraying soapy water on all the pieces. The leak will make soap bubbles.
Thanks for the info

1 - 4 of 4 Posts