Honda Twins banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I changed out my fork seals a couple of weeks ago and rode about 100 miles with no issues at all. Fast forward to yesterday, I pulled off my front fender, and caliper/bracket for cleaning. I reinstalled everything and took it down the road for a test and after about 40mph, I immediately noticed a whining sound and vibration in the front end. Upon further inspection, I saw that the front brake caliper bracket is rubbing the rotor as seen in the attached picture.

Any ideas why this would happen? I'm going to try loosen everything in the front end and re-tighten to see if that corrects it, but it makes no sense that it was fine before removing the fender and caliper/bracket.

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That picture is with the fender reinstalled.

One thing I noticed is a washer on the axle that may be out of place. Although, as i said, I had no issues in the last 100 miles. Can anyone tell me if the #15 washer goes on the inside of the fork tube or on the outside?

Right now its in on the inside of the fork. If I move it outside (under the axle nut), then it seems the rotor would line up correctly. Its hard to tell from the fiche where it is supposed to be.

Attachments

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
Since the fork lower legs are made of aluminum and the axle nut is steel, it make sense that it goes on the outside to protect the lower leg from the steel nut gouging the aluminum

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys. The washer was on the inside. I am not sure if that is my doing or the previous owner's, but its looks like that will solve the issue.

What still doesn't make sense to me, is that I've ridden 100 miles since have the front wheel was taken off and had no indication of any grinding. But after the bike sitting for 5 days or so, I immediately could hear and feel the grind above 35-40mph. I'm going to finish assembling and take it for a ride to see how it feels. Hopefully the rotor isn't trash.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Nah... you just resurfaced the inner side... now turn it around and do the outer section for a matched setup. ;)

On a parts fiche the parts are usually indicated as to their correct location and orientation when assembled. My reading of that fiche is as indicated that the washer goes on the outside of the fork leg

1 - 7 of 7 Posts