Honda Twins banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Just did this on my 81 a few months ago. No special tools needed, just a fairly large wrench to take to top cap off, and then a large metric allen wrench to take out the nut at the top of the tube under the cap. I ordered the below. You can skip the spring, but it was available and only 3 bux so I said why not. You need QTY 2 of everything for the pair of tubes. Good luck.

51412-369-000 SPRING, FR.
51437-413-003 RING, PISTON
90601-369-000 RING, OIL SEAL STOP
91254-413-881 DUST SEAL, FR. FORK
91255-413-881 OIL SEAL (33X46X11)
94608-30000 O-RING (23X2.4)

·
Registered
9,797 Posts
It's all covered in the manual, Galt. That bolt in the bottom is a 6 mm allen . Here's a pic of them apart.

Musical instrument

·
Registered
965 Posts
Those darn hex holed nut rings can be the devil to get back in with an allen key, so I made a useful tool from a flanged 14mm a/f bolt, welded to a suitable "T" handle. I ground the bolt hex head down to reduce the "height".

Re fitting those allan rings is now childs play with good control and no real chance of cross threading at all. Of course, you may know different.

I also made a holder for the fork with the 2 studs, just a metal strip with 3 holes in the right place of the right diameter, making that side so easy to remove the allan bolt.

A fork holding tool can be used via a large adjustable spanner across the flats of the fork bottom, for the speedo side.

Leave the forks in situ to undo the bottom allan bolts, so much easier.

See manual for correct spring fitting.

Everything else with this job is more or less straight forward.

Do your forks have the replaceable bushes??

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sorry for the long wait, the rebuild went great. Once you have them off it's pretty straightforward. Although mine were pretty rough so it took awhile to get them cleaned up enough to be decent.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.