Honda Twins banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have cm400c.
I never need to replace the sealד - no leaks.
Should I repalce the oil forks ?
Is do so, by open the drain bolt and the top bolts after relaese the air pressure ? Push up and down the handlebar to let the drain ?
How many cc should I put back ?
Thanks

·
Super Moderator
26,108 Posts
All the pertinent information is in the factory service manual, including procedure, oil weight and type, and volume..... IF you need a manual, ask for the link......

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did not see an answer in the manual to my questions, those for replace them with new. Has anyone done preventative maintenance? Just replaced the oil in the front shocks?

·
Super Moderator
26,108 Posts
You could always just measure what you drain out, but my advice would be to disassemble, clean, replace seals and fork wipers, and add fresh oil to spec......
"Old rubber" can tear or crack suddenly simply from exposure and age........Besides, you are probably looking at the dust wipers, not the seals......
Simply draining will not remove all the old oil, and it will leave the grit, mung, and sludge still in the forks......Rinsing out with a solvent to remove that will likely damage the seals...... So you are left with do it all correctly, or do nothing......JMHO.....

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
I just rebuilt the forks on my 78 cb 400 A. Manual stated 6.5 ounces of ATF . I have read posts where owners use the same oil they put in their rides . Depends on how you want the bike to handle.

Bill

·
Super Moderator
22,551 Posts
I tend to use 10W fork oil, sometimes 8W which is roughly equivalent to ATF.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts