Honda Twins banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have a 68 CL350 here in the UK I am recommissioning and will be restoring next year for it's 50th!

It has the front fender with the holes for the centre mounted amber reflector. This is a feature that was never on any UK Hondas as far as I know, so I've tried searching for them in the USA as it is missing on my bike but I have the holes for it!

Anyone have one or know of where I can get hold of one?

Also, anyone have an early generator / stator cover, without too many gouges that could be polished up?

Cheers

·
Registered
522 Posts
It's a 1969 (possibly late '68) only USA fitment to many models that year only. My 1969 CB350K1 has it on. P/N is 33741-077-671... They are rare so fetch a high price like here-

HONDA CB350 CL350 CB450 CL450 CL125 CL90 S90 CT90 FENDER REFLECTOR 33741-077-671 | eBay

I got my bike from DK imports in the UK and luckily the reflector was taped to one of the fork legs. I got aNOS fender with the holes from David Silver as original was badly scuffed

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
The lines between the '68 and '69 models are a bit blurry, so there are abnormalities. Front and rear side reflectors were instituted with the '69 models. The early '69 models had the front fender reflector, while the later '69 models had reflectors on the headlight ears. I've read that the reflectors were mandated in the U.S. by the government, but the fender reflectors didn't meet the regulations and were discontinued mid-model year. The '68 model also had the rounded tail light lens with no side reflectors, while the '69 model had the rectangular tail light with red side reflectors. That said, it's entirely possible that some very late '68 models came with reflectors. Does your bike have the '69-spec tail light lens, too?

·
Registered
522 Posts
If someone (AshimotK0) can supply dimensions, I can CAD one up so they can be CNC cut
No worries I would just need to 'dig it out' . From memory it has a chromed steel strap which widens out at either end and the ends have holes through with the mounting screws go. The thin section of the clamp sits in a groove in the moulding. It would be fairly easy to laser cut thin polished stainless steel to reproduce the 'strap' and the thermoplastic bit could be moulded etc. Not so sure on the reflector insert though unless it's similar to another model reflector. All will be revealed when I lay my hands on it. You occasionally see them on old rust fenders for sale on eBay for smaller models, where the seller doesn't realise they are rare.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That would be fabulous!

Mine is a late '68 I think, although prior to my ownership it's had some changes. It runs the late carbs with the huge drain screws in, and it does have the rectangular style rear light. It also has (I like but purists not keen) the later style exhaust, the more pretty double can one, not the single can black covered one. It was like that when I bought it and had been for some 30 years apparently, and whilst in great shape, (minor pin hole in the top can, (RH), I managed to sell a kidney to buy a NOS replacement. So it is not 100% original, but certainly period enough IMO.
The reflector would be a nice addition as it has the fender with holes already and front fender is in nice shape. TBH, when I first got it, I figured it was for the (now defunct) UK reg plate, and on,y recently realised it was for the reflector.

If I cannot source one, i was going to fashion one up by hand from the limited photos etc of them, but a CAD version from proper measurements would be awesome!

The old girl is running ok at the mo, and is interesting as bike as they are quite rare, certainly here in UK. So attracts some interest at local bike meet, and still has the legs of my mates '78 GT380, despite his considerable weight advantage over me.

Cheers guys, really appreciate the replies and potential help. :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
On a separate note, 10 years ago when I picked this bike up, bits for them were dirt cheap here in UK and USA / Canada, and I used to travel a lot for work, which made it easier and cheaper to get odds and ends too. But I ran the bike sporadically, always with the intention of a near full resto at age 50, sadly, the price of some parts has gone mental, but the availability is much more of an issue.

I remember getting a full oil seal kit from Canada for 8 CDN dollars about 6 years ago, shipped to UK! I think it would be 50 bucks plus now! lol

I have some NOS high bars for it, they are Honda genuine accessory bars that I picked up in LA. Need some work to fit as the wiring may not reach, but I am not sure if they will look nice on the bike anyway, or ride nice? Has anyone seen them or seen a photo of them fitted to a CL / CB?

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
Mine has the "ugly" exhaust :D, but I do have the elusive fender reflector. FYI, the reflector strap appears to be stainless steel, and has STANLEY and some numbers stamped into it if I remember correctly. My bike isn't 100% correct either, but it's close enough for me.

Land vehicle Vehicle Motor vehicle Mode of transport Motorcycle

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Haha, I wish I had one of said "ugly" exhaust, very rare to find one in good nick. I am keeping my eye out for the illusive reflector. Your's with the black fork shroud / headlight, is that a 69 then? Looks much tidier than mine, and you don't have the gouge in the stator cover (another part that I am struggling to find a nice one of!) is your headlight all chrome? The other issue with mine is the tank paint is really nice, (been redone), but the blue is a lighter shade. I need to get the shorunds and headlamp backing done in the blue and white and the blue will need to be a special mix tint as it is miles off from the original. Or do I redo the tank? If it wasn't such a nice paint job, i would!

I have seen on ebay another period fender reflector in white plastic that is not quite the right shape but may be able to be doctored to look right.

It is annoying that these bikes seem so popular (350 twins I mean), and yet some silly parts are just not available and few repro parts are available. If they were 750 fours, we'd have much more choice.

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
Yes, my headlight and headlight ears are not "correct" they are holdovers from when the bike was a cafe racer and I decided they looked ok for the stock do-over. The headlight is an Emgo chrome halogen unit with a 35/35 watt H4 bulb in it. Much brighter than the old stock headlight.
. Vehicle Technology Spoke Bicycle Headlamp

1 - 10 of 10 Posts