Honda Twins banner

1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys.
I rode the bike to work last night. no issues.
Rode her this morning and I could see the front end doing what I would describe as *Hopping* while riding at anything past 55 my front wheel appears to be pulling back towards the frame. back forth back forth. gave me some wobbles.
Ive been fighting with this 75mph wiggle before. so this might be a bearing failing or something.

I suspect the brake could be sticking also.

is there a normal cause for this ? Its hard to explain but I could see the front end physically moving fowards and backwards. which felt like the front end was on a bumpy road.

I know its unsafe to ride it further until fixed.

Could anyone comment on what this could be before I rip it all apart?

·
Sensei
27,004 Posts
Check steering head bearings first... If loose the front end will will seem to pull in and then drop back forwards as you decelerate...

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
lifted the front end.
turning handlebars left and right. no spots on the neck bearings. that feel rough.
spinning the wheel I feel nothing binding.

loosened everything. greased it and re-tightened it.
rode her up and down the street.

feels like the rear end is floppy now.
like the rear tire is wavering left and right.
it does not feel safe.
I think its coming from the front. because that is the only bit I messed with.

Replace everything ? wheel bearing and neck bearings ?
Honestly the more I think about it I don't think I fully seated the bottom neck bearings when I did them years ago-

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
Straddle the bike with your feet on the floor and hold the front brake while you push it back and forth, any movement in the steering head bearings? With it on the centerstand, grab the rear wheel and try to move it back and forth. Watch for movement in the swing arm pivot and at the wheel,between the brake drum and backing plate.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Straddle the bike with your feet on the floor and hold the front brake while you push it back and forth, any movement in the steering head bearings? With it on the centerstand, grab the rear wheel and try to move it back and forth. Watch for movement in the swing arm pivot and at the wheel,between the brake drum and backing plate.
If it is the bike in his signature, it should be a hardtail conversion. Are there any cracks in the frame?

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Im gonna go jack it up later on and hit it with a prybar.
it is possible the frame cracked..
ill post any updates.
good idea to hold the brake and push it to see movement

The bottom neck bearing - if it wasnt seated fully - could now have worn down and could be moving. It was something where I did it with a hammer. and at a certain point the bike was moving but the race didnt seem fully seated.
^
thats my current thought.

·
Registered
4,360 Posts
Although it would be good to change, I highly doubt the fork seal is the root cause of your front wheel "hopping"
Something is loose somewhere on the steering column.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Although it would be good to change, I highly doubt the fork seal is the root cause of your front wheel "hopping"
Something is loose somewhere on the steering column.
yeah. I had to ask. it didnt seem like it.
honestly.
I see no motion at all. even put her in gear and held the brake and burned out the rear tire.
nothing moves.
since the rear end feels normal doing this.
my suspicions are that it has to be a binding front brake shoe or bad wheel bearing

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
bearings arrive at the end of the week.
I will post an update once I rip it apart.
doing front and rear just because.
I know I did the front. rear is oem I believe.
either way its all getting replaced.
I have new front pads I mistakenly bought instead of rears when I did the fronts :)
Plan is just to throw money at the problem.

·
Registered
13 Posts
While your working make sure and take a good look at the triple trees and make sure they are not cracked, they do tend to do that if overtightened. When you did the head bearings before did you use the OEM type (loose balls) bearings or did you instal the cup and cone type roller bearings? A sticking brake will make heat pretty fast so checking that is usually pretty easy to find. (careful what you touch)

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
While your working make sure and take a good look at the triple trees and make sure they are not cracked, they do tend to do that if overtightened. When you did the head bearings before did you use the OEM type (loose balls) bearings or did you instal the cup and cone type roller bearings? A sticking brake will make heat pretty fast so checking that is usually pretty easy to find. (careful what you touch)
so honestly like a day before it started doing this. I rode her kinda hard for about 2-3mins hard braking and acceleration. as a test to see if the box would move.. and the front brake got a little smelly.
so im suspecting it might have even toasted the inner surface.
I know the inner surface wasnt 100% when I last replaced the pads.
but I didnt feel it until the next day. and I rode her pretty far after that later in that day. so its a real question.
Were gonna find out when I rip her apart.

·
Administrator
13,002 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
If you only have one shock supporting the front end it would feel unsafe and loose, although it doesn't look too bad! If the front end is moving backwards and forward then its the head stock bearing. if the wheel bearings had gone you would hear them grinding away!

·
Sensei
27,004 Posts
LOFT the front wheel (block under engine) and attempt to push and pull the front axle (gripped on both fork sides) straight forward and straight back towards the engine (NOT any up or down component)....IT should NOT move... IF it does, the steering bearings are worn or loose.....

1 - 20 of 79 Posts