Honda Twins banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, i posted this over in the mechanical issues section but now i think that it fits better in the parts guide section so sorry to double post, mods if you could delete that other post that would be great. Ok so on to my question!

I want to swap on the disk break setup from a CM400T to my CM400E. What are all of the parts that i need from the CM400T? In my project log i mentioned i wanted to do it and it looks like forks will be needed as well and i checked the thread with the fork diameters in it and it looks like they *should* bolt into the trees i have but who knows. Any info on this would be great.

Thanks,

Mike

·
Premium Member
10,203 Posts
A quick check of the parts fiche shows the part numbers for the lower fork tubes to be different.

CM400E = 51521-447-671
CM400T = 51521-447-731

The numbers for the steering stems are also different.

CM400E = 53200-413-000ZA
CM400T = 53200-447-000ZA

Crotchrocket does not indicate them as being interchangeable.

Looks like you'll need the forks, stem, upper clamp plus all the brake stuff.

·
Sensei
27,180 Posts
AFAIK, the stems/trees would work with either set of tubes, you just HAVE to use the "special" cap bolts with the steel top tree and its matching stem and bracket...... I would use the set of trees with the aluminum top bridge myself, (which means swap it all).... You nust use the tubes with the disc lowers (sliders) to run the disc, but they will also work for the drum brake set-up....BUT, NOT the other way 'round....

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've got a VERY similar question concerning my SIL's 1983 CM450E. I'd love to swap a disc brake front end on for the simplicity and added safety but I don't really want to source a CM450A or T front end and end up with the Comstar-styled front wheel and the spoked rear wheel.

Is there any CB/CMX/CX/VT or any other Honda model that I could swap the whole front end for that has spoked wheels? I figure my best bet may be a similar displacement '70's CB or, if I'm lucky, a CMX250 Rebel? As long as the forks and triple trees mount to the CM's steering head, that is...

·
Sensei
27,180 Posts
I would think the best way to get a spoked disc for your CM would be to swap wheel and sliders (with caliper, etc) from a CB360.... Fork tubes are the same diameter (although I'm not sure about length) and damping units are similar, so parts SHOULD swap. Width and offset (spacing) of the CB and CM trees are identical, and the CB fork assembly with trees would actually bolt-on, the only difference might be overall fork length (axle to top bolt)....Of course, the fender has to match the sliders, so a 360 fender would possibly also be needed.......Plus, you'll lose a 1/2" in height from wheel diameter (18" Vs. 19") differences........

·
Sensei
27,180 Posts
Besides what I mentioned in the previous post, it APPEARS that the spoked front wheel from a CB 650 (standard, NOT custom) might be able to be fitted in the 400 forks, and it would use the later dual puck calipers bolted right on a CM slider... It's a 19" wheel.....You would probably have to swap the 650 rotor for a 400/450 version (all are 5 bolt styles)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts