Honda Twins banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 360's front disk brake is spongy on the first pump but properly firm on the second.

It's gotten so I instinctively do a double-tap on my brakes. I have my front forks off right now to replace the seals (that's been an adventure ;)) so I figure this might be a good time to address the front disk problem.

How would the hive address this?

EDIT: And yes, I bled them more than a few times!

·
Registered
75 Posts
Did you merely bleed them or did you completely drain, flush, and refill with new fluid? Just forcing the air out of the lines is a partial fix.

I'm sure the experts here will be more helpful on potential hardware issues.

·
Registered
35 Posts
If it holds continuously on the second and does not bleed down...

flush to remove old fluid ladden with moisture and air.

or check for excessive wear in pads requiring too pumps to move them further out

or rubber break line is soft and expanding under pressure, replace line.

or..if its soggy and bleeds down

bad master cyl or caliper seals. clean and rebuild the bad one or both.

or.. as its 40 years old, all of the above.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sotxbill, that is an awesome checklist, thank you!

Because 1) I changed the fluid and bled it two or three times and the problem persists and 2) it seems to stay firm on the second pump, I'm gonna investigate wear in the pads and/or replacing the lines.

sotxbill said:
... or check for excessive wear in pads requiring too pumps to move them further out or rubber break line is soft and expanding under pressure, replace line.
Oh, does anyone have any guidance on inexpensive replacement brake lines? Shall I just go to the local Honda dealer like I did for my fork oil seals?

·
Registered
265 Posts
Retighten all fittings, as microleaks cause what you're describing. Rebuilding the master cylinder is a REALLY good idea, as well. New rubber line and crush washers would be recommended also. It's like holding in your clutch at a light in gear. You don't realize how important that cable(or line) IS until it fails.

·
Premium Member
670 Posts
I took my old rubber lines to a local mechanic and had him build new stainless steel lines for me.
Expensive, I guess, at around $70 but they feel great.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts