Honda Twins banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd like to upgrade my brakes and would like to know if I can upgrade to a newer bike two piston caliper that would bolt up to my 81 Honda cm400c

·
Registered
399 Posts
You can use the caliper from the 82 CM450. You'll need the bracket also. Don't forget to upgrade the master cylinder from the 450 as well.

·
Registered
399 Posts
IIRC the piston bore for the 450 master is 14mm. They switched to the dual piston calipers in 1981. My 79 CM400T and 1980 CM400A both have the single piston calipers.
So the master should be OK. The caliper on ebay is used on several models that year. The price is a bit rich, I think. Don't know about the bracket, though.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I wish I could find the brake caliper and bracket without eBay but I can't find one anywhere

·
Premium Member
24,208 Posts
For upgrading the system I would be looking at replacing the master cylinder with new, new SS braided hose, high quality brake pads like Ferodo.

·
Premium Member
24,208 Posts
Instead of messing around trying to find a different caliper how about going with some really good brake pads? Granted that the original caliper even on the best of days is somewhat inferior to the 21st century but it does work quite well. Add in a good master cylinder and the SS braided hose.
HONDA | CM C | 400 | 1981 | Pads | Motorcycle Brakes Configurator

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
My bike didn't come with a caliper the previous owner...idk what his deal was it came without alot of parts so that's why I'm trying to do my build as budget friendly as possible

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Bracket I ment...no carbs ether...I'm gonna pick up some mikuni carbs from speed Moto Co...also some GENIUS decided to WELD the gear selector to the rod which broke off we got the piece of gear selector off now it's got weld pooled into the teeth of the rod so that's another can of worms.

·
Premium Member
24,208 Posts
I have a caliper here, no mounting hardware at all. Spread between the mounting holes is 74mm. Pistons are boogered so it'll need new pistons and a complete refurbishing.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts