Honda Twins banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hoping to tap into the knowledge here again... I'm getting a '72 350 back on the road, I have the bike together and it fired up for the first time this evening so getting closer to being ready - one of the things that was missing when I bought it was the front brake light switch.

I installed one last week, and after i put the brake lever on, the switch plunger got jammed in the housing. I figured I screwed that one up and didnt get the switch fully seated in the brake lever perch before putting the lever on and ordered another one. This time, I made sure the switch was as seated as it could be in the perch, tapped it in with a 5.5mm socket & rubber mallet and it all looked good.... until I go to put the brake lever on, and same thing happened. What in the hell am I doing wrong? This time, the plunger looks like its still moving inside the switch housing, so I am hoping I can fish it back out and this one isnt toast. Did I still not get it seated in the perch enough?

-RJ

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
IIRC, the switch has a small tab that has to line up with a slot in the lever perch in order for the switch to seat fully... did you see the tiny tab and line it up with the slot? I replaced mine on my 450 and it wasn't the easiest thing to get the tab lined up with the slot, but once you do it goes in fully

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yep, tab lined up in its home. It went in the brake lever perch about halfway and then tapping it in with a small socket the rest of the way until it felt fully seated.

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
Is it possible that there was a small piece of the old switch body, or possibly some corrosion, left deep in the hole in the perch keeping the new one from seating fully? The picture looks to be correct but with no perspective other than that view, it's hard to say if it went deep enough... that is a bit of a mystery

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It was definitely all clear. Now, I dont quite understand why the plunger falls into the switch like that, it seems like such a poor design.

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
It's funny you say that... I've never personally had any issues with that design, all the bikes I've had in the past using that switch have been just fine - but they were, in fairness, a lot younger when I had them as well. Is it an OEM switch or an aftermarket replacement?

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
even more unusual... I guess your best option is to take the perch off the bars and get a better view of it, make sure the passage is completely clean, get a new switch (or maybe find a used one that is still complete) and assemble it with no cable attached to be sure of proper function before putting another new one in it as you've already done, in order to rule out all possibilities

·
Premium Member
2,838 Posts
Is the correct lever used?

·
Premium Member
2,838 Posts
Anything bent?

Cable properly adjusted?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
doesnt appear to be. brake switch aside, the front brake works pretty well. new cable, new lever.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts