Honda Twins banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If I want to get rid of the 70's front brake lever, and get a more updated lever / mastercylinder combo. what size would I need to get? I want to keep the caliper but just replace the lever and lines.

75 CB500T
Something like the one below

Attachments

·
Registered
357 Posts
I used a MC, and lever from a Kawasaki Concours for a while. It worked good., (Better than the caliper :? .)

·
Sensei
27,183 Posts
Your old master will have a size cast into it (the piston bore size) ....Just match that ... If it has the same bore, the "push" will be the same..... A master for a dual piston or dual disc set-up will likely "push" too much fluid per unit of squeeze..... Your brakes could be suddenly locked instead of having "feel"...

·
Registered
357 Posts
Get a better caliper too if you can, that's the weak spot in the system, not the MC. My '72 CB750K2 uses the same MC, and it works fine with the larger caliper on the 750. In fact, I've switched them, (yes they have both been rebuilt.) and the 500T caliper just won't get in the game. Like I said before, I used a MC from a Concours for a while, and it was only slightly better.

·
Premium Member
7,865 Posts
the size will depend on if you get a traditional or radial master cylinder.

the safest thing to do is to make sure you buy something made for a single caliper. if you buy one made for a dual caliper you won't be happy because it will provide absolutely no feel.

(I'm using a 13mm magura radial master cylinder on mine.)

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My front brake caliper is a TOKICO. It has an 18 stamped on the bottom. Does that mean its an 18mm piston bore diameter. Does Anyone know if I get this Kawi one below, that i have researched works on a single disc, will work on my bike?

Is there an adapter out there some where to add a different caliper

Attachments

·
Sensei
27,183 Posts
Any good machine shop can manufacture an adaptor.... (If you provide the specs or a scale drawing, or template)...I make my templates from plywood as it's easily modified, and then I make up the actual part......If you use a caliper that "floats' on its existing bracket, the adaptor can be as simple as a piece of thick plate with several holes in it....

We were discussing piston size in the master, I am not aware of what the 18 on the caliper means.............

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
The photo in your opening post is not a stock 500T master - not sure what it's from.
Stockers have a 12mm piston I think.
Dual diskers usually have a 14 mm or so, slightly larger. 18 mm would be ridiculous, way too much.
Measure it and see....

I use a larger 14 mm on my single-disk 450 mutant - hasn't locked up on me, but it does stop in a hurry.
I have to disagree with the "no feel" comment - I think the feedback is fine through the lever.

With that said, just about any aftermarket master with 10mm (I think) banjo fittings will work fine.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Where do I find out what my piston bore is. has anyone found a caliper that is a fairly easy replacement?

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I haven't been able to find the quick solution that I want regarding this whole front brake issue. I ended buying the lever in the picture above thats from a suzuki, and I bought a new brake line for a harley. I am pretty sure i can make them work. I think in the future I will build an adapter for the front brake but I think for now this should work, and at worst case scenario be better than the stock system.
There is a local shop here in Nor Cal that sells used calipers, so I think I will head up there one day and do some measurement to find a caliper that will fit the tire/rim, and then go about building the adapter.

Met a real crusty old flat tracker dude that raced in the 50-60's that owns a machine shop in Napa, so my ability to machine some parts just got a lot easier. Wonder if I can bribe him with wine. Wine is what I have alot of!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts