Honda Twins banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi --

I've been reading this forum for a little while but I just joined and this is my first post. I'm in the process of getting my '75 CB200T back on the road after having it sit for several years. I don't have a lot of experience with working on motorcycles (beyond the basics) and I am having an issue with the front brake that I hope you folks can help with.

While my bike was sitting the front brake froze up. I had to replace the brake lever and I have been able to get the brake to operate again with one caveat - the brake lever will not "snap" back to the original position and release the brake caliper. I have to push the lever with my fingers to get the brake to release.

I've taken the cover off the brake caliper and it does not appear that anything is broken. The cable is still attached and the spring is in one piece. It is a gunky mess in there, and so I am wondering if this is a lubrication issue or if I should be looking for a deeper mechanical cause? If this is a lubrication issue, can any of you recommend a product that I might use? If the cause is mechanical, do you have any hints as to where I might start looking?

Thanks a lot and I appreciate any help you folks might be able to give.

- Aaron

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
Tear the caliper down and clean/lube it, as directed in the manual. Print a copy of the fiche, too.
If you're not able to easily pull out the whole adjuster thingie from the caliper housing, then your problem is in there.
Either get a new cable or make sure the one you have is clean and moves easily.

http://home.comcast.net/~tbpmusic3/HondaCB_CL200.pdf

·
Sensei
27,183 Posts
First, questions.....

Did you use the correct shouldered bolt to hold the lever? (lever pivot)

When unattached, does the cable move freely and smoothly?

Did you clean out the old grease and relube the caliper?

Are the "pucks" clean?

LOL....Bill beat me to the submit button..... :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Bill - Thanks a lot for your advice and for including a link to the shop manual for the CB200T. That's going to come in handy in the coming weeks.

66Sprint - I'll answer your questions in order.

1) Maybe. I used the same bolt that has always been on the bike and was there when the brake/cable/lever assembly worked properly.

2) No, the cable does not move freely when detached from the lever.

3) I haven't cleaned the caliper - yet.

4) They seem OK, but I wouldn't try to eat off of them or anything.

Thanks a lot for your responses and I'm happy to answer any more questions you may have.

- Aaron

·
Sensei
27,183 Posts
Aaron...#2 should be checked with the cable free at both ends....

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
66Sprint said:
I can't tell. I am unable to free the cable from the brake arm. Any hints for getting it unstuck?

Thanks,

Aaron

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
AaronCB200T said:
66Sprint said:
I can't tell. I am unable to free the cable from the brake arm. Any hints for getting it unstuck?

Thanks,

Aaron
I had to cut mine loose, rebuild the caliper and get a new cable......

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
tbpmusic said:
AaronCB200T said:
66Sprint said:

Thanks,

Aaron
I had to cut mine loose, rebuild the caliper and get a new cable......
That's what I was hoping to avoid. So you had to cut the cable and the spring and then replace all the parts of the caliper? Is it possible to just replace the brake arm? Where did you cut the cable at - was it through the spring closer to where it mounts into the brake arm out outside the caliper? Also, is there no lubricant that I can use to help loosen the cable from the brake arm?

Thanks for your help,

Aaron

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
I cut the cable right at the end, in the caliper housing. I did not cut the spring.
Once I did that I was able to get it all apart, with some difficulty........
Then I just cleaned it all up and installed new pads.
I had to make a new gasket for the caliper halves, as they are NLA.
It had been installed without a gasket by the PO, and I think that's what allowed water and road gunk in there to freeze it all up.
I don't ride in the rain, so hopefully it won't happen again.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So, to answer one of 66Sprint's original questions: Further investigation reveals that when the brake arm assembly is removed from the caliper with the brake cable still attached (the best way I could fake detaching the cable from the brake arm) and the cable is also detached from the brake lever the cable will move freely and smoothly. Any joy there?

- Aaron

·
Sensei
27,183 Posts
Yep....It's NOT the cable....Must be the mechanism and how it moves within the case.... Clean and relube everything....make the gasket as they are NLA...Could simply be the moving puck is corroded/jammed into the case...but more likely the mechanism is stuck........

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
66Sprint said:
Yep....It's NOT the cable....Must be the mechanism and how it moves within the case.... Clean and relube everything....make the gasket as they are NLA...Could simply be the moving puck is corroded/jammed into the case...but more likely the mechanism is stuck........

Thanks for your response. I will check out everything you mention. Any recommendations for what type of lubricant to use? Should I grease everything or shoot it full of Brake Clean?

Thanks again!

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
AaronCB200T said:
Thanks for your response. I will check out everything you mention. Any recommendations for what type of lubricant to use? Should I grease everything or shoot it full of Brake Clean?

Thanks again!
At just about any auto parts store, they have little "envelopes" of disk brake grease right at the counter.
Apply it only to the area specified in the Manual.......

1 - 14 of 14 Posts