Honda Twins banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello i am truing up the front rim bolted to the forks without the tire and noticed the wheel does not spin real free , i did do a new brake shoe job should this wheel spin complely free, or does the adjustment on the 2l lead shoes have a problem, please help tryingtio get this bike 1972 cb350k ready to vintage race

·
Premium Member
10,203 Posts
You should be able to spin the wheel with one finger. With old bearings and loose adjustment it may "coast" for a few revolutions. With new bearings it may only "coast" for part of a revolution. Properly adjusted drum brakes should not exert any drag on the wheel in a perfect world.

·
Registered
539 Posts
^^^ this is true. IF, however, you have a little drag, it may not be abnormal, these bikes are old. Just make sure your rim is true and that's not the problem. If you're racing it then be damned sure.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for the info i was concerned because it had no coasting, i will check the brake adjustment not sure about the bearings

·
Registered
3,111 Posts
Probably a few high spots on those new shoes. You could have the backing plate mounted in a lathe and skim the shoes to make them even. Or do the same thing with some sandpaper glued to the drum with rubber cement. Or just put it together and ride it until the brakes bed in themselves.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
When i had this problem is came down to the way the worm drive for speedo was seated.

How far down did you take the hub?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
not sure what you mean brake drum? i know the speedo has to line up with the 2 cut area `s

·
Registered
328 Posts
not sure what you mean brake drum? i know the speedo has to line up with the 2 cut area `s
Even when properly installed ... all ballz and other modern bearings are a hair thinner than original. They can appear seated perfectly, yet bind the worm gear drive when tightened.

The key is not seat them so far... but its too little too late once they are in.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

1 - 11 of 11 Posts