Honda Twins banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is the story of the ongoing resurrection of a 1971 Honda CB450 from it's tomb in a garage to the streets of Portland, OR once again.

A few weeks ago, an engineer at my office asked me if I knew anyone that would be interested in purchasing an old motorcycle. "It's a '71 Honda 450. I'm not sure of the model."

One week later, I went out and took a look at it with a mechanic friend. I bought it on the spot.

Now, it's sitting in my garage, and I'm slowly but surely realizing the task I have in front of me. My original thinking was "This is a Japanese bike. Put fresh gas and oil in it, and it'll fire right up." Um...

I went to twist the throttle, and the cable is stuck. I thought it might be the cable, so I pulled the gas tank. In order to do that, I had to remove the hoses from the petcock, and the hose that connects the left half of the tank to the right.

Mistake #1.
First off, the hoses looked alright, but they were stiff and stubborn, So I cut them. Instead of just cutting one, and having a gas can right there to catch all the fuel, I cut all of them. Instantly, 36 year old gas poured all over my garage floor. Great. I moved the bike, cleaned that up, got the tank off the bike, and drained the rest of the gasoline carefully into a bucket. It really didn't seem like gasoline anymore. More like 92 Octane varnish.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
My next step is to remove the carburetors, take them over to a friend's house with a couple of carb rebuild kits, and have him do a rebuild on them.

Also, I have a new battery on order. I also am going to buy a new set of tires, and drain/replace the oil.

The gas tank has a small crease in it from a spill a previous owner must have caused.

As an added bonus, a fairing, a sissy bar, and a set of very old leather panniers came with the bike, as did the original owner's manual, the original registration and a Clymer's Handbook.

I'm very excited about the project, and can't wait until I can take this bike out this spring. (Hopefully).

More pictures to come later.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Roger that. I'll post 'em up soon. I'm sending my daughter the photographer out to take some. Maybe tomorrow sometime.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Here's some more pics...

And, how cool is this??

I got the new registration yesterday, and the DMV is goin to let me use the existing license plates..

:D :D :D

Oh, and don't worry. The sissy bar and the cheesy fairing are now off, and anxiously looking for a buyer.

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
Dang. I was gonna ask for that plate for my collection too. It's last date is the year I was born...

Keep us posted on your progress.. ;)

GB :mrgreen:

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Here's a brief update. I got my new battery in the mail yesterday, and today I filled it, charged it, and installed it. I replaced one of the cheesy connections to something or other with a new clip, and tried all the electrical.

Everything works. Headlight, taillight, all the signal lights. Even the starter works! The one thing I'll need to replace is the blinker relay. Pretty minor, all in all.

Tomorrow, the carburetors come off. The rebuild kits are in the mail, and I have a buddy offering to help rebuild them.

I also plan on draining the oil, replacing the filter, and checking out the spark plugs.

·
Sensei
27,180 Posts
Angus...You don't replace the filter...you clean it.... That "special spanner" might be necessary now, but might not....depends on what you find in there and how much "rinses" out.....

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks, Sprint. I was wondering about that. What do I use to clean it?

·
Premium Member
2,386 Posts
Angus McGee said:
Thanks, Sprint. I was wondering about that. What do I use to clean it?
Once you get it out you can use whatever is available. Brake Cleaner is a good choice or a solvent tank if you have one or just wash it out with Simple Green and water. There is no media in there, it just looks like a cup with some slots in it.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Good to know. Thanks!

In other news, I spoke to a buddy who's a body man, and he told me he'll be able to fix the crease in the gas tank. He suggested I give him all the painted parts of the bike, and pick a color to paint them. He said he'd do all the sork for me, for material cost only. What a deal!!

I'm thinking of royal blue with white stipes.. Almost Yamaha's current colors.

thx.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
update...

I've picked a new color for the bike, and I'm going to try and stick with a color that Honda used in 1971 on their bikes.

Candy Ruby Red. The black stripes on the tank will be switched to white.

So, I've started prepping the bike by taking off all the painted parts & giving them to my body man.

What I did today was remove the headlight. Imagine my surprise when I saw what was behind the headlight, inside the housing. Oh my! I see where the Japanese hid all their wiring connections! At least they're all color coded, so when I disconnected them (some, not all) to get the headlight housing off, they'll be fairly easy, if not time consuming to reconnect them once the parts have been painted.

Next is to remove the front wheel and the forks to get the last parts off & prepped for paint.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
wowee wow wow wow!!

Just picked up my parts from my body work buddy. He picked a Honda color from their auto division in 2000.

Black Pearl something or other. He painted the stripes silver, and made them a little bigger.

He fixed the dent, and it looks incredible.

SO looking forward to getting the bike together!!

·
Registered
60 Posts
I bought my wife nearly the same story for X-mas this year! $350 '71 cb450 candy gold with sissybar leather bags in a barn! It's going to be a bit of a project as well but defiantly worth it! the last inspection sticker on it was from '77 and it has just over 10000 on the clock. I'll be keeping an eye on your progress so be sure to post pics!! Have Fun!!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts