Honda Twins banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok. So the bike in question is a 1974 CB360.

I just finished the rebuild after a catastrophic cam chain failure.

I missed a step in setting the cam chain timing and had a valve hitting the piston while hand cranking. I fixed the timing before ever kicking or starting the bike, but the contact had already happened.
The bike started up immediately and ran consistently after I got everything put back together She ran very rich even after a carb cleaning. I ended up buying carb rebuild kits to have completely smooth float action.

On freshly rebuilt carbs, I got her started again running a bit lean. I was making adjustments to the mixture and idle when I noticed oil leaking out of the left tailpipe.
I suspect that I bent a valve when I was hand cranking so I did a compression test. I got 120 psi on the right and only 80 psi on the left with the engine cold.

So I did a quick tear down of the top end to check out the valves. Visually, the valves all look like they're sitting straight with no gaps. I didn't compress the springs to get a good look at them yet. Also, the right valves and plug are black as night from running rich. The left side looks like it never even ran so I'm not even burning gas on this side.

Now I'll check the coil to make sure I'm even getting a spark but I'm not sure where the oil and compression issues are coming from unless its a bent valve. Can someone with more experience hook me up with some insight?
Additionally, what are your thoughts on just bending the valve back into place. They're brand new valves and I hate to buy another set.

Many, many thanks as always.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Remove your valve cover, If you have a air compressor use your compression tester to plumb it to the cylinder,make sure both valves are closed. apply air. That should give you a good idea where you problem is,If you need a reference test the good side.

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
Additionally, what are your thoughts on just bending the valve back into place. They're brand new valves and I hate to buy another set.
First, you'll never get a bent valve back to "straight" again, at least not the straight it was when new. Second, you don't have to buy a set of valves to get the one you need. If you only have 80 lbs (from an accurate reading) on one cylinder, something is wrong and if it's the valve... sad to say, but it has to be replaced. Here is but one supplier of likely many out there, just Google it (and by "it", I mean intake valve or exhaust valve, of course)

https://www.davidsilverspares.com/CB360T-1976-USA/

360valves.jpg

1 - 3 of 3 Posts