Honda Twins banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve worked out the proper lithium-ion battery size that will work with the Rick’s set. It’s a Shorai LFZ14A2-BS12 (14ah). I’ve designed a battery box in Adobe Illustrator that will work with no modification to the bike frame. Features a designated box to hold the Shorai BS-12 size battery (which comes in many different amp-hour sizes), slots for wires to come in and out, space in the front to mount a regulator rectifier on the outside, and more than enough space to fit a starter solenoid, flasher relay, and fuse box if you need that.

I’m going to leave the file as a free open source document for people to use if they would like. Hopefully, this saves someone the troubles that I had to go through.

The darker lines are cut lines and the thin ones folds. The BS-12 size battery will fit perfectly (with some foam insulation) in the back most box, however, it does not have to be used for this and can just be used to maximize the amount of space given in an electronics tray. It’s also designed to mount a regulator rectifier on the front so it can receive some airflow to cool down. The sides to the battery are also purposely left open for cooling purposes.

I printed out the template and made it up on some cardboard, took that down to my local heating and sheet metal place and they had it done within the day. The labor wasn’t cheap but the box turned out perfect. I will be filing down the edges and giving it a coat of paint to finish it off.

File Here: 1971 CB350 Open Source Battery Box - Google Drive

·
Premium Member
24,208 Posts
That's the best custom battery box I've seen made. Thanks for posting the actual plan also because I'm sure someone will be along asking in the future.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the kudos guys. Hopefully it comes in handy for someone. Painting it now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
891 Posts
Like this a lot.

Unless I am missing something you may want to mention that the file is simply for the layout measurements and not a full size pattern.
If you can print as the OP did, from this file, on two sheets for a full size pattern then I am just lost, lonely and confused.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Unless I am missing something you may want to mention that the file is simply for the layout measurements and not a full size pattern.
If you can print as the OP did, from this file, on two sheets for a full size pattern then I am just lost, lonely and confused.
That’s correct, it takes two pieces of paper, but doesn’t quite fit lengthways on standard 8 1/2 x 11. I had to use US legal size paper.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I sprayed on three coats of VHT Engine Enamel Primer and three coats VHT Engine Enamel paint (Paint color: black pearl)

Baked in my moms oven for one hour at 200°F. (She was not happy)

Fitting foam for battery

1 - 9 of 9 Posts