Honda Twins banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I had mentioned in a previous post, a friend's son-in-law has a CB 450 and 305 he inherited from his dad. No titles to be found and the kid is probably not motivated to do the necessary work to get replacement titles. Just wondering how many folks have just bought a bare frame that comes with a title and moved everything over as part of the restoration job? I saw a bunch of 305 frames on ebay but none came with a title.

I seem to recall years ago when I was playing with a 450 that there was a way to get an email whenever someone responded to my posts, is there still a way to do that since I don't come here very often at the moment?

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
Unless you are in one of the few US States that use the engine number to title (there are a couple), that's a common way to deal with things.

You can set the email alert in your Profile settings......

·
Registered
581 Posts
Some states don't require titles for bikes over a certain age. You can register them with a bill of sale. Vermont and Maine come to mind. You can get a Vermont registration online.

Reactions: bilbikek411

·
Registered
4,402 Posts
Some states don't require titles for bikes over a certain age. You can register them with a bill of sale. Vermont and Maine come to mind. You can get a Vermont registration online.
I did that with a bike when I was living in PA. I paid the $ and they sent me a VT. registration even though I wasn't a resident of VT.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Here in Virginia, things are rather anal about having a real title to register a vehicle....but I do have a brother who lives in Maine.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I have done the Vermont title thing but I seem to remember it was for 300 cc and smaller bikes. I had to pay their registration fee and sales tax on the book value of the bike if I recall correctly.

I'm in Michigan, so I rode the bike on the Vermont registration for a year (since I had already paid for it) and then had no problem transferring it to a Michigan registration.

·
Premium Member
1,638 Posts
My bike was titled to the engine (P.O. titled it in Wisconsin).

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
I have a CA77 305 Dream frame with a title that I would be willing to sell, if that is what the "305" bike is.
TOOLS

·
Registered
756 Posts
I'll add to the VT title route, done it several times. In AZ you can file for a bonded title, which can be expensive, or an abandoned vehicle title which is easier, cheaper, and faster.

But for states that are anal about a title, getting the VT registration (it's not a title) is the first step to getting a title in whatever state you are in. You present the VT registration in another state to get a title, and since VT only issues registrations and not titles for old bikes (BTW I think it is 350cc, but have heard of bigger bikes getting them too, not sure) that's all you need to get a title.

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
VT does not issue titles to bikes under (I think 500cc) or any vehicle over 15 years old. I have done the VT thing several times myself.
TOOLS

1 - 11 of 11 Posts