Honda Twins banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
done some searching, and not found a definitive answer.

what paint to use, and is the frame mild steel or something more exotic like chromoly?

i have blasted the frame and will do some welding etc on it for rearset brackets and then of course I want to paint it. (don't want to spend the money on powder coat)

I would like black in the original sheen, which I think might be either satin or semi-gloss. will do the gauges and other bits and bobs with the same paint.

so, what primer and what paint and what sheen of that paint? how many coats of each and how much time in between? i would like the most durable finish possible with rattle can paint, and have not painted anything like this before so want to get it right on the first try. :)

thanks for any input, or links to forum topics I missed. i will update my project build once the frame is complete.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=5004

·
Registered
7,061 Posts
I used Smoothrite (a smooth surfaced version of Hammerite) on my K5 frame. It does not need primer and has built in rust protection. It gives that not to shiny surface as I don't like when the frame has the same gloss as the tank and side covers. On the gauges I used semi gloss paint.

[attachment=1:1ppmg96i]SSA51134-1024.jpg[/attachment:1ppmg96i]

[attachment=0:1ppmg96i]SSA51840-1024.jpg[/attachment:1ppmg96i]

It seams like many people is not aware of that you also can buy true 2 pack paint on rattle can nowdays. There are two options. One where you press a button in the bottom of the can (pushes hardener into the paint) before you shake and use it. You can also get paint already mixed with hardener filled in a rattle can by paint companies but you then have to use it within I think it is 24 or 48 hours.

Attachments

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
looks good!

a buddy of mine just chimed in that VHT epoxy paint works really well and is tough as nails, he used in on his VFR luggage frames.

http://www.vhtpaint.com/rollbarchassis.html

just not sure if i would go gloss or satin. gloss sounds too glossy, and satin might not be glossy enough....

or other suggestions?

trying to figure out what filler rod to use with tig on this frame, the frame is mild steel I am assuming at this point....

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
little update, looks like hammerite is a UK brand, our equivalent would be Rustoleum stateside here looks like, not sure how thick or tough it would be...

I have tried a little of the VHT glossy epoxy paint, and it seems to be pretty tough and goes on smooth and matches the old paint very closely sheen and color wise, so will use that and post results.

and the frame appears to just be mild steel, my TIG skills are not what they once were... taking much to long. will post some pics after as well.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Duplicolor with about 50 coats of clear.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Those little half cans empty out fast and the ones I tried sprayed like crap! Duplicolor does make a clear lacquer in a full size can and it sprays nice. Working on my frame now.

·
Registered
703 Posts
The key is to put the cans in a sink full of hot water for 15 minutes prior to spraying.

·
Sensei
27,183 Posts
delineator said:
thats a whole lot a clear! no way am i that dedicated.
No Worries!.....This tank and fender have 3 coats of clear and were never buffed out...
(two lightcoats within 15 minutes of each other and one gloss coat about an hour later)
Whole paint job is rattlecan duplicolor........

·
Registered
203 Posts
Holy Smokes! That some fancy spray'n! Havent seen rattle can stuff that cool since Puerta Villarta where a dude was doing some really cool land scapes on cardboard!
This is what I used. Did you use the acrylic lacquer?
I was not real impressed. It was had to get it to lay down smooth and being a lacquer it dried real fast and made it hard to keep everything wet at once so it didnt show overlaps. I wonder if more coats of clear would help?

Attachments

·
Sensei
27,183 Posts
It's the Duplicolor acrylic enamel (regular spraycan automotive stuff)....
... lots of 3M fine-line tape in varying widths...
Good final (painting) finish is mostly prep work, and practice...and patience...
But it's a skill anyone can learn......

·
Registered
8,867 Posts
I had mine powder coated looks great and saves a whole lot of pain.
Both the 650 and the Bomber.
[attachment=0:21uqsord]100_1414.JPG[/attachment:21uqsord]

Attachments

·
Registered
8,867 Posts
Hej Ronnie
Yes Im proud to admit that they are mine, the BSA Starfire belongs to a good friend of mine. Had a great ride yesteray lunchtime too nice and warm for November.
Another pic of the three with my middle son and hos girlfriend on the650
[attachment=2:11hwtoz0]100_1153.JPG[/attachment:11hwtoz0]
and all three at the tea rooms dont you know
[attachment=1:11hwtoz0]100_1417.JPG[/attachment:11hwtoz0]
[attachment=0:11hwtoz0]100_1418.JPG[/attachment:11hwtoz0]
Hej Da

Attachments

·
Registered
8,867 Posts
I dont know how I managed to get the same pic on twice, computers are such mysterious things. Old Bikes are so much more predictable he he

1 - 17 of 17 Posts