Honda Twins banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 72 CB I am working on.
Unfortunatly I don't have the title for it.
There is an outside chance that I can get the title but I'm not counting on it.

I located a bare 72 CL frame with a title I can get [for what I consider] a reasonable price.

I would really like to use the CB frame because of the minor differences [in the back,upper frame] from the CL frame.

I am seriously considering buying the CL frame, cutting the steering head off, & having it TIG welded to the CB frame.

[I have considered another, much simpler , option but it's kind of a "gray" area.]

One other option I have considered is swapping the back section of the frames, one to the other.

Which is more practicle ?

·
Sensei
27,182 Posts
AFAIK...CB and CL frames of the same year are identical..... What differences do you observe....PIX?...

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't have pics at the moment.

From what I've seen the CL frame doesn't have the longer gussets behind the shock mounts or the little frame brackets the "grab bar" bolts to.

I went to the shop & took a good look at the rear of the CB frame. I don't think adding the brackets for the grab bar will be an issue.

·
Sensei
27,182 Posts
The first year for the grab rail was the 1973, K6.... You SAID you have a '72 which would be a K5...(no rail)..???????

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Actually, You are correct ! I was told it is a 72 but the serial # is CB450-6 , that makes it a K6 !

I hace a 73 CL [with title] & the frame on it has the differences I mentioned.

I had considered using the frame from the CL I have for the CB but then ran accross the bare CL frame with a title.

·
Registered
86 Posts
If you are even considering swapping steering heads, wouldn't it be easier (and safer) to just add the gussets and brackets to the CL frame?

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
" If you are even considering swapping steering heads, wouldn't it be easier (and safer) to just add the gussets and brackets to the CL frame? "

Yes it would !
I had already thought of that.
Actually, I have decided how to fix it. ;)

The only reason I was actually considering the steering head was possibly stretching the down tube to rake it in the process.
[One of the bikes I have came with 8" over tubes
1" stretch in the front down tube = [approximately] a 10 degree rake & raises the top tube ALA "chopper"]

After mulling it over I decided to leave the steering head alone.

It's not going to be a stock restoration but I don't really want to butcher it either.
The mods I'm making could be returned to stock easily.
[Handlebars, seat. paint, rear wheel/tire, & some other minor things]

·
Registered
86 Posts
I'm glad to hear that. I've never liked the look of the inline twins and fours with a raked front end. It just looks out of place.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
" I'm glad to hear that. I've never liked the look of the inline twins and fours with a raked front end. It just looks out of place. "

I was thinking the whole tamale & do a hard tail also.
I love choppers if they are done right.
I have seen a couple of 450's that are really nice.
After thinking about it I decided it would look much better as a mild 70's "custom" .

[I will probably do the CL I have pretty close to stock]

The friend I got the bike from in MI called me last night.
He said he can't find the title but if I email him the frame/engine numbers he will apply for a lost title & send it to me when he gets it.

As Col. Hannibal Smith used to say, " I love it when a plan comes together " . :lol:

Even though the guy I got the bike from is a friend I kind of figured since he's in MI & I'm living in KY now he wouldn't be too concerned about getting the title. :(

1 - 9 of 9 Posts