Honda Twins banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had a heck of a time getting them out of the tripple tree. Not sure if I can disassemble these with the bend in there. Had the bike since I was 15 (1994) so would like to reuse everything if possible..
Advice? bend back, buy new, other? IMG_0007.jpg IMG_0008.jpg

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
I have straightened several of them over the years. You just need a hydraulic press, V blocks, and a dial indicator.
TOOLS

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have straightened several of them over the years. You just need a hydraulic press, V blocks, and a dial indicator.
TOOLS
You want to fix mine for me? How far are you from worlds of fun, we go several times a year. Planning a couple 2 day tips to WOF soon.

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
I have Frank's forks in my 450 K5. They are very nice. I wouldn't bother with the old ones. They are rusty and bent. There isn't a better reason to pass them on to a scrap metal dealer. You can easily spend more than either of the links above trying to straighten them. Unless Tools helps you out. I like the idea of new. Peace of mind and Frank's is made in the USA.

Franks Forks ? The leader in replacement motorcycle forks.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I sent frank an email, I read online they bedefunct these days. if he responds Ill see what he can do for me.
I can get a set of forks under $100 shipped on ebay but all are rusty like that, the stupid fork cover on the head lights seems to trap in moisture. Ill be removing mine as it is a bad design it seems.

I wonder with bent for tubes, are the bottoms of the forks (stanchions?) usually ruined too?

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
...the stupid fork cover on the head lights seems to trap in moisture.
Though the idea of the headlight ear design is from the era the bike was built and doesn't seem like such a good idea today, that is not the reason the forks rust on the upper area... Honda save money by not chroming them up there, knowing they would be covered - and again, not expecting these machines to be around 45+ years later either, I'm sure

I wonder with bent for tubes, are the bottoms of the forks (stanchions?) usually ruined too?
I've ridden over 100 mph on many previously wrecked and repaired bikes and have never had an issue with both upper fork tubes that had been straightened (bent no more than yours) or the lower legs either... massive damage from head-on crashes would be different, of course, and often bend the upper tubes so badly they show marks after being straightened in which case they shouldn't be re-used, and the lowers have gotten cracked or broken off in the same situations - but I doubt that happened here or you'd remember it (if the tubes were bent since you've owned it)

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
1 - 12 of 12 Posts